Ryan air refuse to pay.

The airlines are now trying to change the rules for compensation so they don't have to pay out for meals and accommodation in future.

Its nice to see a positive EU rule for once, I can't imagine our Government giving such rights.

Positive?

How the hell do you work that out.

Imagine if you give me a lift to Bristol asking only the costs to get there and a a couple of quid to get you a lunch.

You promise to pick me up a week later as part of the deal but some basket pinches your car so you are knackered.

You say you will buy a new car and keep your promise but I charge you for hotels and whatever.

How would you feel?

Positive?

How the hell do you work that out.

Imagine if you give me a lift to Bristol asking only the costs to get there and a a couple of quid to get you a lunch.

You promise to pick me up a week later as part of the deal but some basket pinches your car so you are knackered.

You say you will buy a new car and keep your promise but I charge you for hotels and whatever.

How would you feel?

I wouldn't feel anything because I'm not a business and haven't entered into a contract with you.

O'Leary was crying on the TV last night because he'd have to pay out loads to someone who'd paid £9 for their flight.

That's not my problem. Maybe he should charge more if he's going to make a loss when the unexpected happens.

It's interesting to hear that a number of Eurofighter Typhoons have now been grounded because of ash damage.

Why should any airline be made to pay?

I isn't their fault that planes were grounded, if they had just said right no flights today then refunds would have been warranted but this was not their doing.

Heard on the news that a passanger had a £9 air fare and was claiming for £800 accommodation bills. How is that fair to the airline?

Because like others have said, if you have a problem, companies like Sleazyjet and Ryanair stick to their rules and won't relent or have any sympathy for you whatsoever:

This is part of the issue with me. We have all heard of plenty of stories when someone has fallen foul of small print in Ryan Air's contract, with absolutely no leniency from Ryan Air who stick to the line - it was in the contract you agreed to.

I am afraid this goes both ways.

Part of their license to operate is that they obey the law, the law says they have to pay. They knew exactly what they were getting into, why should they be allowed to worm out of it when it suits them.

Running an airline is a risky business, if they can't take the heat then they should give up.

Most companies might try it on, but in the end they'll pay.

But when the boot is on the other foot they're crying for rules to be changed.

Stranded here in Gran Canaria since Monday, some people are in a desperate situation with no money etc, until they can return.

Some help should be granted just to give them a bed and roof

Desperate, my backside!

If you're rich enough to afford expensive foreign holidays you can certainly afford a few days extra accommodation. Compared to the starving millions in Africa you're living in the lap of luxury!

Why is everyone saying that it is unfair on ryanair? Yeah, the volcano might have been out of their control however, by selling their costumer a ticket, they are contractually obliged to observe the conditions of that contract.

Anyhow, these cheapo airlines have a history of shafting their costumers so it's about time they go a taste of their own medicine. I have no sympathy for them at all and I am surprised there are many out there who believe Ryanair are saints in all this :loopy:

Why is everyone saying that it is unfair on ryanair? Yeah, the volcano might have been out of their control however, by selling their costumer a ticket, they are contractually obliged to observe the conditions of that contract.

Anyhow, these cheapo airlines have a history of shafting their costumers so it's about time they go a taste of their own medicine. I have no sympathy for them at all and I am surprised there are many out there who believe Ryanair are saints in all this :loopy:

There are a number of points I'd like to address here Agent.

Regarding Ryan Air themselves, nobody is saying they are saints, but many including myself feel that it is harsh to burden the costs on the airlines, whether they be Ryan Air, BA, Easy Jet etc, particularly in light of the fact that it's a double whammy, not only have they lost massive of revenue they now have to stump up the costs of accommodation for their customers, and all at a time when the airline industry is suffering perhaps its greatest trading downturn.

When you mentioned the "contract" the EU law was designed to protect the customer in case the customer is let down by the airline.

In this unprecedented case the airlines are not to blame but EU law which was never designed for Volcanic Ash shut down is being applied.

Now quite a few aviation bodies also see the EU regulations as wrongly and unfairly applied to the Volcanic shut down:

Mike Carrivick, chief executive of the Board of Airline Representatives "It was never intended to apply to wholesale shutdown of the airways system imposed by governmental rulings and without any limitation of time."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/21/ryanair-michael-oleary-flight-disruption

The International Air Transport Association (Iata):

Iata also said it was unfair that EU legislation holds airlines responsible for paying the cost of looking after their passengers under such circumstances.

"This crisis is an act of God – completely beyond the control of airlines. Insurers certainly see it this way. But Europe's passenger rights regulations take no consideration of this. These regulations provide no relief for extraordinary situations and still hold airlines responsible to pay for hotels, meals and telephones," said Giovanni Bisignani. director general of Iata

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/21/airline-industry-cost-volcanic-ash

The British Airline Pilots' Association

Balpa also raised concerns over the financial impact of EU 261, the regulations setting out airlines' responsibilities in the event of flights being delayed or canceled. The rules should be loosened because volcanic ash constitutes sufficiently "extraordinary circumstances" to obviate the payment of compensation, for example, says Balpa. "The EU needs to act as their delayed passenger compensation scheme was never designed with this situation in mind and is now crippling our industry," the organisation said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...e-1948899.html

Many airlines are now trying to seek compensation from the EU to recoup the costs they have incurred by honoring the EU legislation.

If the EU don't compensate the airlines then everyone's next airline ticket will probably cost more than it would have done.

Archived