Ryan air refuse to pay.

There are a number of points I'd like to address here Agent.

Regarding Ryan Air themselves, nobody is saying they are saints, but many including myself feel that it is harsh to burden the costs on the airlines, whether they be Ryan Air, BA, Easy Jet etc, particularly in light of the fact that it's a double whammy, not only have they lost massive of revenue they now have to stump up the costs of accommodation for their customers, and all at a time when the airline industry is suffering perhaps its greatest trading downturn.

When you mentioned the "contract" the EU law was designed to protect the customer in case the customer is let down by the airline.

In this unprecedented case the airlines are not to blame but EU law which was never designed for Volcanic Ash shut down is being applied.

Now quite a few aviation bodies also see the EU regulations as wrongly and fairly applied to the Volcanic shut down:

Mike Carrivick, chief executive of the Board of Airline Representatives "It was never intended to apply to wholesale shutdown of the airways system imposed by governmental rulings and without any limitation of time."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/21/ryanair-michael-oleary-flight-disruption

The International Air Transport Association (Iata):

Iata also said it was unfair that EU legislation holds airlines responsible for paying the cost of looking after their passengers under such circumstances.

"This crisis is an act of God – completely beyond the control of airlines. Insurers certainly see it this way. But Europe's passenger rights regulations take no consideration of this. These regulations provide no relief for extraordinary situations and still hold airlines responsible to pay for hotels, meals and telephones," said Giovanni Bisignani. director general of Iata

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/21/airline-industry-cost-volcanic-ash

The British Airline Pilots' Association

Balpa also raised concerns over the financial impact of EU 261, the regulations setting out airlines' responsibilities in the event of flights being delayed or canceled. The rules should be loosened because volcanic ash constitutes sufficiently "extraordinary circumstances" to obviate the payment of compensation, for example, says Balpa. "The EU needs to act as their delayed passenger compensation scheme was never designed with this situation in mind and is now crippling our industry," the organisation said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...e-1948899.html

Many airlines are now trying to seek compensation from the EU to recoup the costs they have incurred by honoring the EU legislation.

If the EU don't compensate the airlines then everyone's next airline ticket will probably cost more than it would have done.

Which I agree with, to an extent. However, the law is the law as it stands. Pay up, shut up and get on with getting the law changed so that any future disruptions won't cripple you.

As for the expense being passed on to the passenger. I don't mind. Flying is a privilege and therefore should be priced as such.

Which I agree with, to an extent. However, the law is the law as it stands. Pay up, shut up and get on with getting the law changed so that any future disruptions won't cripple you.

As for the expense being passed on to the passenger. I don't mind. Flying is a privilege and therefore should be priced as such.

I agree with your "the law is the law" as it stands argument, however in this case it is following the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law.

ie. it(The EU regulation) is been used for something it was never designed to cover.

Had the EU stated that Airlines would also be liable in all circumstances even when events are not of their making, then that would be different.

I made a breakage during a freak earthquake in a China shop analogy a few posts back.

But here's another:

Imagine that you were driving in your car, in town you suddenly see someone collapse with a suspected heart attack in the street, you stop your car and rush out to give emergency aid to this person.

A traffic warden can see what you were doing but is still badgering you to get your car off the double yellow lines, even whilst you are trying to save the collapsed person life, in the end the traffic warden sticks to the letter of the law and sticks a nice big yellow ticket on your car!

The law is the law but under certain circumstances following the letter of the law is not the right thing.

I agree with your "the law is the law" as it stands argument, however in this case it is following the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law.

ie. it(The EU regulation) is been used for something it was never designed to cover.

Had the EU stated that Airlines would also be liable in all circumstances even when events are not of their making, then that would be different.

I made a breakage during a freak earthquake in a China shop analogy a few posts back.

But here's another:

Imagine that you were driving in your car, in town you suddenly see someone collapse with a suspected heart attack in the street, you stop your car and rush out to give emergency aid to this person.

A traffic warden can see what you were doing but is still badgering you to get your car off the double yellow lines, even whilst you are trying to save the collapsed person life, in the end the traffic warden sticks to the letter of the law and sticks a nice big yellow ticket on your car!

The law is the law but under certain circumstances following the letter of the law is not the right thing.

As someone said earlier, these airlines hardly apply the spirit of the law when it comes to shafting their passengers. It's a two way street :)

As someone said earlier, these airlines hardly apply the spirit of the law when it comes to shafting their passengers. It's a two way street :)

I hear what you are saying, although I think every airline is different concerning customer services, and every customer service person is different.

If you are lucky you will get a sympathetic person if you are unlucky you will get someone that isn't so, It's the luck of the draw.

Sure there are customers who get little sympathy from airlines, but having said that I am sure there are also incidences where the airlines have done their utmost to help their customers, only you don't get to hear about those stories.

Well, we will be putting in a claim to ryanair. there were 5 of us stranded in spain, so lived as cheap as possible, booked in to a self catering mobile home for a week, and the total bill is under £800 for all of us inc food etc. just put everything on to credit card as advised.

• 2 weeks later...
I challenge you to find a cheaper flight with another airline, as most people use them to travel to Spain so there's a good place to start :D

Well, after you add in all the surplus fees (4 quid just to allow me to pay??), costs to and from the airports they fly into (which are typically 90 minutes more travel plus 10+ euros each way)...

Clickair or Vueling are quite good and are Spanish airlines, so no troubles flying into Spain there... You can get some really good deals on Easyjet if you look for them, Jet2 (especially in the winter), BMI sometimes has good deals (though I don't think I've ever seen a single fare less than 40 quid, to be honest).

I'm going to Scandanavia in July and I had the option of flying Ryan Air or Norwegian Air... Let's look at the differences..

Norwegian Airlines

Departs: Stockholm Arlanda (£10, 20min express train)

Arrives: London Gatwick

Fare: £37.70

Taxes: £0 (included in listed fare).

Checked bag: £6

Payment fees: £0

Total less airport transportation: £43.70

Ryan Air

Departs: Stockholm Skavsta (£12, 90 min. bus)

Fare: £14

Taxes: £5

Checked Bag: £20

Payment fees: £5

Total less airport transportation: £38

Not really that great of a deal when I can fly out of Stockholm's major airport which is much closer to the city for only £6 more.

Archived