Ryan air refuse to pay.

Yes, you did say East Midlands, but didn't ask me to get a flight from East Midlands. By the by, I don't understand why you are so obsessed to make a point. You like cheap, and I don't. There is no comparison.

Yes, I do know. I tend to fly from Heathrow or Manchester ;)

Well you should have a better idea of their pricing then. I'd prefer to spend my flight savings on other things like my car or my house, but then it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it :)

It seems O 'leary is not alone in his thinking:

This from today's Guardian:

Mike Carrivick, chief executive of the Board of Airline Representatives (BAR), which represents more than 90 airlines including British Airways, Virgin and BMI, said the relevant regulation was intended to apply when airlines had individual delays or cancelled flights. "It was never intended to apply to wholesale shutdown of the airways system imposed by governmental rulings and without any limitation of time."

The regulations, said the BAR, were "draconian, disproportionate and impractical".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/21/ryanair-michael-oleary-flight-disruption

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out. Watch with interest and see how this affects consumer law.

In normal circumstances then laws should be followed, however I think these are rather exceptional circumstances, I can't recall when as many countries were affected for so long, I' m sure O' leary won't be the only European air carrier who might also try to take a stand.

The law is the law is the law. Unless and until there is an 'exceptional circumstance' cop-out, O'Leary and his ilk will have to pay out, and rightly so.

So do you think the airlines are to blame and therefore deserve to foot the bill?

It's not about blame, the airlines accepted the contract with the customer knowing full well the terms and conditions of the contract.

So do you think the airlines are to blame and therefore deserve to foot the bill?

I don't, it was out of everyones hands and people dealt with it the best way they could.

It was no ones fault, whereby if they had sent the planes up and the worst did happen well thats another story.....Thankfully no harm came to anyone just alot of inconvenience

Here we go............the blame culture.....groan.

This has nothing to do with blame yet everything to do with the law of contract.

What part of the law of contract don't you understand?

Archived