Any women not got married because of..

Awwww......... I know I'm getting old and unromantic :(. I can't remember when I last did the whole "practice signing your name with the surname of the bloke you fancy" thing.

(this generally is a disaster if they find the piece of paper you have been using :help:)

I've never done that!

I never saw the attraction of marriage full stop (except for you wifey, obviously)

I think I get that from my sister and her fella that have been happily together for 35 years without feeling the need for it...

... mind you his last name is Woolly.:suspect:

I kept my own surname after I got married for various reasons, not least because my father in law had changed the family name to sound more English.

However now that I am expecting a baby there is immense pressure to conform and take my husband's family surname.

It ain't straightforward is it?

I changed my name when I got married, partly because I really don't like my maiden name, partly because we couldn't make it into a double barrelled name because his name was already double barrelled and partly because it was the 'done thing'.

After the nightmare of trying to turn my name back again after divorce I can safely say that in the unlikely event that I get married again, my name will stay the same even if others call me by my husband's surname.

I suppose it's nice to have a family name, but I grew up a ******* with mixed names and it hasn't hurt me. (wait, thats not evidence is it.) Getting married or not getting married for such a reason is just lame, name changes are easier than eating pie. Refusing to change your name or insisting someone change their name is just as pointleess, go with the flow yall.

A member of my extended family divorced and remarried and decided to change the name of her child to that of her new husband. It still causes arguments a few years on. It also distances a certain child from her true heritage.

It never crossed my mind to take my husband's surname when I got married, although actually his surname is, in my opinion, a nicer sounding surname than mine. I've been married 10 years and the only people who have ever had a problem with me keeping my own name are his family.

Archived