Any women not got married because of..

That sounds completely daft! I wouldn't keep my own name either, it would be silly to have a family all with different surnames, what names would the children have?!

In Iceland (handily topical) the naming system is that each child is called [parent's first name][son/daughter] so you can have a family of four with four different surnames!

I've changed my surname because I felt like it. I wouldn't take on a man's, but I like the idea of horribleblob's friends who chose a brand new joint identity together. That's cool, I've never known anyone do that before.

The coolest option of all of course is the one Patti Smith took, win-win all round. :hihi:

My poor husband has a really , really unfortunate name. In China where he was born, his surname is quite posh as its supposed to be decended from an emperor. In this country it provokes very rude comments and is filtered out on google !. It doesnt help that his parents gave him possibly the worst first name to go with it because they had no idea of the connotation it has in English. I really wish I could write what it is cos it even makes me laugh. When we were getting married he asked me if I wanted him to change his name by deed poll to something less embarassing but I said no. he had lived with it for almost 40yrs then i could too. On the plus side, I've just typed it into the website and found out that there is only ME in the whole country with my name , WHOO HOO I'm UNIQUE!!! and there are only 4 with his name. ( mind you , thats not a bad thing):hihi:

i got married in september and i've no intention of ever changing my name. this hasn't gone down well with the in-laws but then nothing i do ever has been to their likeing. i love my name, its unusual, its a sign of where my family came from and most of all it's MY name.

my husband has no issues with it whatsoever...we don't even have a joint bank account, it's just the type of couple we are.

I've changed my surname because I felt like it. I wouldn't take on a man's, but I like the idea of horribleblob's friends who chose a brand new joint identity together. That's cool, I've never known anyone do that before.

My best mate got married last year and they took the decision together to both change their last names to be a double barrelled name from both surnames put together.

The only thing is that they now sound like a very relaxed spa (I can't share their name as it's probably the only similar one around).

...The coolest option of all of course is the one Patti Smith took, win-win all round. :hihi:

So; can I gather that I wasn't the only one to listen to Patti Smith reading extracts from her autobiog on R4 recently? (or maybe you just knew already). Patti 'Sonic' Smith would perhaps be more cool.

So; can I gather that I wasn't the only one to listen to Patti Smith reading extracts from her autobiog on R4 recently? (or maybe you just knew already). Patti 'Sonic' Smith would perhaps be more cool.

I didn't hear that no, I've been a bit of a media hermit of late, I already knew. I agree though, Sonic Smith would have been even better.

On the same theme, Medusa's reference to friends who now sound like a spa made me think of Baden-Baden. What are the chances of that happening? :hihi:

Is the only reason for getting married to change your name? How odd. If your name is an issue you could change it anyway.

For me getting married was about making a commitment, it never crossed my mind to become "Mrs" or take his surname. I'd have been quite uncomfortable if I'd had to do either of those things.

Of course it's not the only reason and I never said it was, but it is an important part of the whole thing, in my opinion. I just think that if you don't 'believe' in that (or any other) part of marriage then i'm not sure what the point is... But again, just my opinion.

Archived