Question about dogs..

Many breeds of dog were trained to retrieve and carry something for their human masters; not usually a stick, which is not likely to escape of its own accord, but often to fetch downed quarry, or chase down, kill and bring rabbits and the like.

That instinct, still present, comes out in such behaviour as fetching and carrying the stick. The dog gets a sense of usefulness and worthiness, which is important to most dogs.

Many breeds of dog were trained to retrieve and carry something for their human masters; not usually a stick, which is not likely to escape of its own accord, but often to fetch downed quarry, or chase down, kill and bring rabbits and the like.

That instinct, still present, comes out in such behaviour as fetching and carrying the stick. The dog gets a sense of usefulness and worthiness, which is important to most dogs.

I would agree that it is to do with the breed I have a labrador retriever and he loves a stick, he'll be straight in a pond if he spots one floating in the water

.........why do some dogs carry sticks?

some do

some dont

those that do look very very chuffed to be doing so

is it something to do with hunting?

Some dogs will,

some dogs won't

Some dogs need to carry sticks and some dogs don't

My dog is a working breed. The particular work I choose for her is to fetch things for me, particularly things I have thrown for her, including balls and frisbees, but not usually sticks because they come apart in her mouth too easily.

If you were to meet us on a walk she's usually carrying whatever she's got as a toy on a walk, partly because it's less messy than carrying a slobbery dog ball ourselves and partly because she can't bark when her mouth's full ;)

I once threw a 6ft, 1/2ft diameter wooden fence pole into a reservoir jokingly (that had already washed up on the side of) for a friends staff. The staffy proceeded to swim out, and bite hold of it, swim back and bring it to shore (just as we were diving in to stop the silly sod drowning). It carried it for about a half mile afterwards!

Must have weighed a good 30-40kg!

Archived