One for the women - sterilisation options

I've watched a tubal ligation operation performed laporascopically and that seemed to be a much smaller operation than an open tubal ligation. It was also a day case rather than a 3/4 day in hospital operation, so if you decide to go for that I'd consider finding someone who has plenty of experience of performing it laporascopically.

However, that won't do anything to treat your painful periods. Assuming that your pain is not caused by endometriosis or anything else 'non standard' then endometrial ablation would potentially fulfil both functions without needing any incisions at all, but I don't know whether the outcome of the operation has been studied with respect to guaranteed sterility and reduction of menorrhoea as it is almost always used to treat endometrial problems rather than as an alternative to tubal ligation. This may be worth investigation on your part, but it may be a bit of a lateral jump on my part so apologies if you don't find much information available which is relevant to your situation.

I've watched a tubal ligation operation performed laporascopically and that seemed to be a much smaller operation than an open tubal ligation. It was also a day case rather than a 3/4 day in hospital operation, so if you decide to go for that I'd consider finding someone who has plenty of experience of performing it laporascopically.

However, that won't do anything to treat your painful periods. Assuming that your pain is not caused by endometriosis or anything else 'non standard' then endometrial ablation would potentially fulfil both functions without needing any incisions at all, but I don't know whether the outcome of the operation has been studied with respect to guaranteed sterility and reduction of menorrhoea as it is almost always used to treat endometrial problems rather than as an alternative to tubal ligation. This may be worth investigation on your part, but it may be a bit of a lateral jump on my part so apologies if you don't find much information available which is relevant to your situation.

No, that's great, thanks and thanks to PT as well for her experience. I just found out about endometrial ablation today - Google is the patients friend.

The thing with my periods (hope this will frighten all the blokes off at this point :P) is they AREN'T worse than anyone elses really. It's just that I see absolutely no reason why I should have to suffer PMT for the next twenty years if there is a way of getting rid of it. This last weekend I felt really out of sorts and was in tears for some very bizarre reasons. This is NOT something I want to continue. If I could pay a few grand to get my breasts enlarged, which would arguably be of no practical benefit, then why can't I do the same to solve something that does impact on my life in quite a negative way?

:confused:

Condoms for protection against STDs + Something more permanent for protection against pregnancy = no unwanted kids, ever. How old are you? Would you like to become a dad and bust up your career plans because someones fingernail accidentally puts a tear in the Durex on a night out?

I'm younger than the above (jokey) comment made me sound and very career-ey. Double up protection's a point I was thinking you were going for one or the other. I would have thought in the unlikely(ish) event of the above happening since you know what you want to do you'd have no qualms about an abortion?

I'm just a 'you never know what life's going to throw at you' sort, so would be concerned about getting it done. Just make sure you've though carefully about it :)

Anyhoo I'll butt out now!

Forgive me for asking this, because I am a firm believer in that a women does to her body what is best for her and no-one else, but is your main aim to eradicate your periods and the PMT?

Or would you see that as an added bonus to having an op to stop you having children?

As I say, I'm totally not anti this or that, but sterilisation seems a bit drastic if its your PMT you want to manage.

Forgive me for asking this, because I am a firm believer in that a women does to her body what is best for her and no-one else, but is your main aim to eradicate your periods and the PMT?

Or would you see that as an added bonus to having an op to stop you having children?

As I say, I'm totally not anti this or that, but sterilisation seems a bit drastic if its your PMT you want to manage.

The second one :) Sterilisation - and the most effective one - is the main thing. But I was thinking today that it would be daft not to see if I could kill two birds with one stone. I got all excited thinking a hysterectomy could solve it all but then I looked at the side effects and thought probably not :(

Would the pill not give you the same effect?

ie/ can't get pregnant, regulates your periods, and it's not permanent.

I'm almost loathe to type this because I fully respect your decision to not have children, but is the 24 in your name, your age?

To be sterilized at that young age just seems a bit extreme.

My periods were horrific until I had my first child - after him, they've not been worth mentioning since, they are so light.

Obviously I'm not saying have a child to sort out the problem (!) but people do change their thoughts and wants/needs as they get older and if you are 24, maybe just give it a couple more years to see if you still feel the same....?

Would the pill not give you the same effect?

ie/ can't get pregnant, regulates your periods, and it's not permanent.

I'm almost loathe to type this because I fully respect your decision to not have children, but is the 24 in your name, your age?

To be sterilized at that young age just seems a bit extreme.

My periods were horrific until I had my first child - after him, they've not been worth mentioning since, they are so light.

Obviously I'm not saying have a child to sort out the problem (!) but people do change their thoughts and wants/needs as they get older and if you are 24, maybe just give it a couple more years to see if you still feel the same....?

See where you are coming from (I'm a whole 25 actually now :P) but this is a decision I'm very comfortable with. Not actually looking to get the surgery done very soon, but in the information gathering stage at the moment.

I'm not in a relationship, but if I was to get involved with someone I'd want to present the "no kids" thing as a fait accompli so they would know exactly what they were getting and know there would be no option to negotiate. The Pill isn't permanent. I REALLY hate the whole "oh I've met someone I quite fancy should I go on it?" dilemma. And I don't like having to remember to take a tablet every day.

Ok, so I'm keen over the next year or so to make my decision not to have kids a permanent one.

Admittedly I am in absolutely NO need of any form of contraception at the moment :rolleyes:, but I think I will be up for a contract later this year which should provide quite a bit of spare cash so would be a good investment (plan on going private).

So just wondering if anyone has had anything done or knows anyone who has? I can see quite a few options out there. Tubal ligation. Essure and Adiana are the new ones (seem a bit TOO new at the moment :confused:). Google reveals a few "scare stories" about things failing and women being sick for ages afterwards, which would be a disaster for me :help:

What's on my mind is:

1. Scarring - I have never had a child and have a pretty flat stomach - I don't want a massive scar.

2. Being effective - do these things ever fail?

3. This might be a bit ambitious, but I'm sick of having a few days a month swallowing painkillers and feeling like *£%$!£"$. It's meant to be part of being a woman, but if there is some surgical way of stopping my periods forever I'd be delighted.

Abstain from sex for life, its the most effective way, 100% natural and it doesn't cost a thing.

:confused:

Condoms for protection against STDs + Something more permanent for protection against pregnancy = no unwanted kids, ever. How old are you? Would you like to become a dad and bust up your career plans because someones fingernail accidentally puts a tear in the Durex on a night out?

Is a career that important. Why be wealthy if you have nobody to pass on your fortune to? I suppose you could pass it onto nephews and nieces.

See where you are coming from (I'm a whole 25 actually now :P) but this is a decision I'm very comfortable with. Not actually looking to get the surgery done very soon, but in the information gathering stage at the moment.

I'm not in a relationship, but if I was to get involved with someone I'd want to present the "no kids" thing as a fait accompli so they would know exactly what they were getting and know there would be no option to negotiate. The Pill isn't permanent. I REALLY hate the whole "oh I've met someone I quite fancy should I go on it?" dilemma. And I don't like having to remember to take a tablet every day.

That's the scary thing - you're leaving yourself with no room to negotiate. And at such a young age too.

I'm not going to say anymore because I truly don't want to come across as preaching, but perhaps try temporary measures for a couple of years.

I used to keep my pill next to my toothbrush - easiest way to ensure I never failed to take it every morning!

Archived