One for the women - sterilisation options

Jesus, I'd rather carry a condom then have irreversible surgery for a minute and a half's worth of fun every birthday.

[/b]

:shocked:that often!! you lucky devil

I want to know what he does with the other one-minute-twenty-nine-and-a-half-seconds...

Once a year and for that long, some blokes are born lucky :o

Well, my ex admits, himself, last month, he broke his own personal best:- one hour, one minute and five seconds.

darn it if he hadn't forgotten - the clocks went back at 2am. ho-ha-hum

See where you are coming from (I'm a whole 25 actually now :P) but this is a decision I'm very comfortable with. Not actually looking to get the surgery done very soon, but in the information gathering stage at the moment.

I'm not in a relationship, but if I was to get involved with someone I'd want to present the "no kids" thing as a fait accompli so they would know exactly what they were getting and know there would be no option to negotiate. The Pill isn't permanent. I REALLY hate the whole "oh I've met someone I quite fancy should I go on it?" dilemma. And I don't like having to remember to take a tablet every day.

Wish I could go back to the time when I felt comfortable with the idea of never having having children and I wouldn't do what I now regret. Ok I accept that if I now had children and hated being a mum I would perhaps be saying the opposite, but being a whole forty two I can honestly say that you really don't know what the future has in store.

However I do think you are being responsible in considering this option rather than just falling back on the idea that you could have an abortion.

Think carefully though. Good luck

Well, my ex admits, himself, last month, he broke his own personal best:- one hour, one minute and five seconds.

darn it if he hadn't forgotten - the clocks went back at 2am. ho-ha-hum

Remind me never to cross you

Does seem a very drastic and irreversible approach to me. I have known several women who swore they would never want children in their mid-twenties, yet by the late 30's had changed to the exact opposite view. Leave yourself the option, just in case.

It's not only the drastic measures that worries me about your post Millhouses but have you thought of what the side effects are for your body. I was told when considering an hysterectomy a few years ago, due to many years of bad periods,ovarian cancer in the family and child loss, that unless I had the full works I'd need to keep taking hormones to prevent cancer and osteoporosis. At 44 that was a decent weigh up but at 25 it's crazy.

Hi there,

There is an IUS out there called the Mirena coil. It is progesteron based and 99% of the time stops periods and therefore the crazy hormone fluctuation that goes with it. This can be put in to place for 5 years at a time. So is possibly an option to consider. Here is the wiki link to it

However, I say well done you for making a decision for yourself, being intelligent enough to know your own mind and not be swayed by other peoples opinions. If it is right for you to be perm sterilised who's got the right to tell you otherwise?

I fell pregnant and had my first child at 18yo but waited 10yrs to have my second (for one reason or another). I always said I didn't want any children from being young and I looked into sterlilisation for as soon as I turned 18. Hmmm.... That didn't work though as we had an accident and I feel preg.

I wouldn't change my eldest daughter who is 11 for anything in the world now.

I do believe though it was my right to choose to have her and then my right to choose to have another baby 10 yrs later, I also fully believe it is your right to choose not to have any.

I also agree with another poster, if you decided later in your life you would like to be a mother then you could adopt, alternativley have some embrios frozen just in case (if you felt it may be a possiblity you'd change your mind, I doubt you'd do it in the first place so may be a stupid suggestion)

Good luck with whatever way you go.

It is normal policy (certainly within Sheffield) that the Mirena can only be used for women who have had children because it's significantly wider than non-hormonal IUDs and there is often difficulty and pain getting the cervix of women who have not had children to open enough to allow the IUS in during fitting.

I was recommended to have one for menstrual problems and it was still refused to me because of this.

It's not only the drastic measures that worries me about your post Millhouses but have you thought of what the side effects are for your body. I was told when considering an hysterectomy a few years ago, due to many years of bad periods,ovarian cancer in the family and child loss, that unless I had the full works I'd need to keep taking hormones to prevent cancer and osteoporosis. At 44 that was a decent weigh up but at 25 it's crazy.

There's no way that any doctor would perform a hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy without a pressing medical need because of the ongoing risk of all sorts of health problems later on.

That's why I was trying to work out what the precise problem is- if you've got heavy and painful periods then having a hysterectomy will solve that, but the PMS is nothing to do with the womb itself and would necessitate removing the ovaries too, but that's just not sensible unless there is no other option.

Archived