One for the women - sterilisation options

It is normal policy (certainly within Sheffield) that the Mirena can only be used for women who have had children because it's significantly wider than non-hormonal IUDs and there is often difficulty and pain getting the cervix of women who have not had children to open enough to allow the IUS in during fitting.

I was recommended to have one for menstrual problems and it was still refused to me because of this.

They tried to give me that too but I hemorrhaged just after the examination to see if I was suitable for it so I decided enough was enough for me and went for the hysterectomy due to all the other factors I listed above. I was past my child rearing years so the decision was made easier.

Hi - I know its not sterilisation but I can highly recommend the contraceptive implant. It lasts 3 years and I am pretty sure it is a 100% effective so once its been put in you don't have to think about it again. On the plus side it has virtually stopped my periods & the monthly PMT/ mood swings. It doesn't suit everyone but you can have it removed if you are having any problems.

Its free so you could save yourself some money & it saves having surgery.

• 3 years later...
It is normal policy (certainly within Sheffield) that the Mirena can only be used for women who have had children because it's significantly wider than non-hormonal IUDs and there is often difficulty and pain getting the cervix of women who have not had children to open enough to allow the IUS in during fitting.

I was recommended to have one for menstrual problems and it was still refused to me because of this.

It isn't policy, they just prefer you to have had children. I haven't had children and had one last year before my gp referred me to jessops as she said that would be first thing gynaecologist would suggest. I had mine done at central health clinic and they used licnocaine so that they could get my cervix to relax and open enough to get it in place.

Archived