Cortisone injections

My wife had cortisone injections in her back, early in her spinal-discs-being-completely-useless career.

They were very painful and wiped out a large chunk of one day to recover from, but relieved all back pain for two months - to begin with. After a few years, their efficiency had declined to the point where they only did any good for a week, if that, and they were abandoned.

I would guess that injecting it into the shoulder will be considerably less painful, but I'm not a doctor and it is only a guess. Also, steroids can serve a variety of purposes, and the problem you have in your shoulder might not have the same "cortisone loses its effect over time" problem as my wife's back had.

I've had one-off cortisone injections into my neck and one wrist and can confirm that they really aren't much fun to receive, but on both occasions the short term injury which needed attention was much improved within a day and resolved within a couple of weeks, so it was obviously worth the pain to have that good a response to them.

I had them for both arms for tennis elbow and didn't have any pain at all. Some people do some don't. I would have happily had a day or so's agony to get rid of the pain my arms were already in for the following months.

I had them in the back of my ankles and the first one didn't hurt at all. The second set was done by some clown who's previous employment was for dynorod and they hurt like hell and bled all over the place. I looked like I'd been bitten by the worlds shortest vampire. I think it all depends on the skill of the person injecting you. They worked though.

I asked my doctor once why they only allow 3 shots of cortisone a year to his patients, he said our body produces it's own natural cortisone and injecting too much of it our body can cause death...something about our own natural cortisone rejecting it's own

Anyhow yes I had one shot of it in my foot 15 years ago, thought I would jump off the table, never had pain in my foot since, most people say that there only goodfor 3 to 6 months, that I wouldn't know.

Archived