Get a spellchecker

You don't need a spellchecker if you had a proper education. Basic spelling and grammar is something you should learn, not use computer software to make up for your own inadequacies.

Using a spell checker is a good way to learn. There are words that I occasionally find difficult to spell. For example, I just put too many s's in occasionally. I've corrected it and there's some chance that next time I write it I'll remember.

Learning involves making mistakes and having them corrected, the fact that software can offer the corrections doesn't stop you learning from it.

Edit

Is it ironic that in a post where you say people shouldn't need spell checkers, you spell 'spell checker' as one word when it's actually two?

I'd advocate the use of spell checkers for everyone if only to put a stop to threads that deteriorate into arguments with the forum spelling police. Plus they might not help my terrible grammar but there are some words I wouldn't even attempt to spell, but I will have a go and let it be corrected by the spell checker before posting. In some cases these words would be completely meaningless without the correction.

Edit

Is it ironic that in a post where you say people shouldn't need spell checkers, you spell 'spell checker' as one word when it's actually two?

I was copying the OP who titled the thread "Get a spellchecker" so you should direct your irony to him.

Oh hang on, it's you who started the thread! Looks like you're contradicting yourself again, Cyclone! :hihi:

Maybe my spell checker doesn't spell check topic titles.

It still makes a good point though. Apparently neither of our educations were sufficient to teach us how to spell 'spell checker'. I have since be corrected by my spell checker though and now know, you were just copying me and were getting it wrong due to my earlier mistake.

I wonder if the reason for copying 'spellchecker' was through laziness. Could someone not be bothered to type it in for himself?

Why do people get so irate over small typos, spelling errors and occasional misuses of grammar? Have they nothing better to do with their time?

Archived