Why do we store wine in racks.

Some of my favourite £9-£10 bottles of wine are on sale for £3 in Asda. The 2006 reserve I picked up were covered in dust because they'd not sold. Granted, a supermarket shelf isn't the best place to store wine, but it tastes absolutely fine.

Incidentally the price for the same wine in my local wine merchant is still £9.75.

So don't just assume that a £3 wine is rubbish. It may be on sale because the supermarket can't shift it and want to just get rid and put more Blossom Hill on the shelves!

You really need to open your mind a little more. Having just bought a case (6 bottles) of 2006 Gibbston Valley Reserve Pinot Noir for £359.94 for a forthcoming wedding I don't think that you will find that screw tops are only used on £3 bottles of plonk. (etc.)
You really need to avoid pigeon-holing people on the basis of a single post about a particular topic ;)

Nowhere have I suggested that only "cheap bottles of plonk" use screwtops. I simply made a reference to lemonade-like rosés, most (but not all) of which come in with a screwtop. There are many very decent wines around the £3 mark (and even cheaper), with cork or screwtop and, anecdotally, I have found the Aldi wine buyers to be particularly excellent at their job for a number of years. Note that's "decent wines" in general (as in: good value/money), not necessarily what I consider to be decent wines.

Most of the wine I buy, to lay or to drink, is from France, that is a choice on which you might call me narrow-minded (...if it wasn't for the fact that it is simply a question of taste, as subjective as they come :D): I have yet to see a Premier Cru bottled at the property come with a screwtop. Some domaines I regularly buy from had a go with the cork 'ersatz' products 3 or 4 years ago. They soon went back to genuine cork, and that's a good enough indication for me ;)

After that... I don't base my wine-buying decisions on the bottle closure type (I buy screwtops too, most if not all of the time they just don't happen to be the type I would lay). Or the bottle price either, mind you.

You really need to avoid pigeon-holing people on the basis of a single post about a particular topic ;)

Nowhere have I suggested that only "cheap bottles of plonk" use screwtops. I simply made a reference to lemonade-like rosés, most (but not all) of which come in with a screwtop.

Perhaps you should try reading back what you have written before hitting that submit reply button, because what you claimed to have said above isn't what you actually said before...

Decent wines (not being elitist, just differentiating between £3 'Something Hill' bottles and those with provenance) still use genuine cork, and will continue so long as cork remains economically viable for them (a long time yet).

A glass of wine with lunch seems preferable to a dozen pints of lager in the evening.

It is possible to have both..

Still back to the OP. I just wonder if storing screw top wine bottles on their side is a bad thing to do. Won't the wine eventually eat through the cap?

Archived