Why do we store wine in racks.

I buy wine in a bottle depending what colour I like the look of and how many pound coins I have (normally between three to five). I drink it and I throw the bottle away.

Where do these "racks" come into the equation? :huh:

First thing I look at is the A.B.V., I base my purchase on that alone. They all taste like vinegar to me anyway, I lack a sophisticated palate. ;)

[pedant]I think she means incising the wax around the neck, at the juncture between the neck top and the cork bottom[/pedant] ;)

I haven't got a clue what you are talking about. The cork is stuck in the neck and held there with sealing wax. Trying to remove 40/50 year old corks is a disaster which generally means shattered cork and filth gets into the wine.

Vintage port should be opened using Port tongs. They are heated in a gas flame until red hot, clamped around the neck of the bottle for a few seconds and then a damp cloth is applied to the neck. This causes the neck to crack from the bottle. The wine can then be decanted through cloth into the decanter.

Ah, I think the oldest I have is about 20 years, and normally less. Never tried a 40 year old port.

We still have a couple of bottles of Quarles Harris 1963, which were raided from the father in law's cellar and priced at 1240 Escudos a case in 1970 (about £6 a bottle)

This is interesting..

And that was a demonstration of your maturity I suppose, snide insults for no reason, very mature. Maybe you're just a bit bitter, vinegary, because you've been left in the cellar for too long :D (Topical, see what I did there, much cleverer than yours).

And that was a demonstration of your maturity I suppose, snide insults for no reason, very mature. Maybe you're just a bit bitter, vinegary, because you've been left in the cellar for too long :D (Topical, see what I did there, much cleverer than yours).

Darling Cyclone: bad wine has never been and never will be left in the cellar.

All bad wine is known as corked: As your mouth should be.

Archived