Will BA employees dare go on strike again,after recent events.

The current operating model isn't sustainable though - that's Walsh's entire point. With the rise of low cost airlines and the increase in costs of fuel they couldn't continue as they are. They cannot negotiate the price of fuel down, but they can cut their operating costs by bringing their staff pay in line with other airlines.

Posters challenging the senior management to reduce their pay are just being obtuse. They're already paid at the market rate for the role they do - why should they earn less than their peers in industry to subsidise the cabin crews earning over their respective peers?

I support Walsh - the union is doing their best to bring BA to it's knees. He's got the grit to stand up to them. His strategy is clearly working, hence all the vitriol on this thread and others on SF around him.

Of course, this is all notwithstanding the fact that the Pension Regulator has already stated that BA themselves, the people who look after the pension fund, senior people in BA, are the ones who are to blame for the pension fund being as it is - so the average worker is being told they have to pay for the mistakes of others.

Also, it is not about wagers per se, it is the fact that they are removing some staff from flights and making other staff do their duties in addition to their own.

And also also, the claim that BA are under threat because of airlines like ryanair etc are wrong - they are not competing for the same customers at all.

Intresting one this one. Mmmmm to bring them inline with the same amount of cabin crew that work on Gatwick based flights.

What makes Heathrow based cabin crew so special that they cant work a flight with the same amount of staff as Gatwick do.

I think some of the more militant BA crew should maybe do a job swap and work for Ryanair or spend a summer working with the charters doing the bucket & spade flights to the Med. Im then sure they would realize that working for BA isnt so bad afterall.

Would Unite & BASSA be stupid enough to call another strike, yes they would. Will it have that much effect on BA's operations i very much doubt it, looks like Wee Willie has the balls and the cash in the bank to see this out and break the union.

You would imagine, but no figures.

That's a bit rich coming from you Laurel since you yourself have not produce any figures to back up any of your own arguments!:rolleyes:

Anyway you seem to think that BA's pension deficit is no big deal.

Dan Milmo, transport correspondent for the Guardian begs to differ.

"BA's pension deficit is commonly viewed as the greatest threat to the airline's survival"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/16/pensions-deficit-ba-strike-unite

That's a bit rich coming from you Laurel since you yourself have not produce any figures to back up any of your own arguments!:rolleyes:

Anyway you seem to think that BA's pension deficit is no big deal.

Dan Milmo, transport correspondent for the Guardian begs to differ.

"BA's pension deficit is commonly viewed as the greatest threat to the airline's survival"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/16/pensions-deficit-ba-strike-unite

I see cash strapped BA are taking on new customers whilst telling customers trapped in India/Egypt etc that they're not going to get them home till the middle of may.

I see cash strapped BA are taking on new customers whilst telling customers trapped in India/Egypt etc that they're not going to get them home till the middle of may.

No this is what really is happening.

BA are unable to just simply close out the inventory for their flights to free up seats for stranded passengers.

So what they are doing instead is charging sky high prices in the hope it will put off people from booking in the short term thus freeing up seats to bring stranded passengers home.

People who strike annoy me. If they don't like the pay & conditions they should get a job elsewhere, no one forces them to work for BA. I would never fly with BA because the staff are just militants. There are 8 million people in this country who are dependant on the state for their income who would jump at the chance to do their jobs. They should be thankful they have got a job.

Archived