Country in a mess!

Has anyone thought they might have meant people who speak english?

Just a thought.

Yes, I did. And then I thought that someone complaining about people who can't or don't speak English might have at least a grasp of the rudimentaries of the language. But I guess I was mistaken :)

The country's not in a mess, it's just having a really bad hangover from the party years ;)

Some party==

Official figures from last week showed that the government had run up total debts of £697.5bn, or 47.5% of GDP, by the end of 2008. That includes just over £100bn for the nationalisation of Northern Rock and the recapitalisation of Royal Bank of Scotland.

Some party==

Official figures from last week showed that the government had run up total debts of £697.5bn, or 47.5% of GDP, by the end of 2008. That includes just over £100bn for the nationalisation of Northern Rock and the recapitalisation of Royal Bank of Scotland.

So are the Liberals going to return the issuing of money back into government control?

Yes some people are having a hard time because of the global recession

The global financial crisis hasn't even begun yet.

In rock concert parlance, late 2007/early 2008 was the warm-up act, now we've had the intermission and within the next year, the main act will take to the stage.

I'm betting September/October this year is when it all falls apart.

So are the Liberals going to return the issuing of money back into government control?

I'D like to see a coalition.

Let them work as a team for a few years.

The problems are enormous, one third of people in Leicester are on the social.

About the problem. Before the recession New Labour were still borrowing

money. Blair wasn't a shrewd man, he was erratic.

The global financial crisis hasn't even begun yet.

In rock concert parlance, late 2007/early 2008 was the warm-up act, now we've had the intermission and within the next year, the main act will take to the stage.

I'm betting September/October this year is when it all falls apart.

Yes Its worse than we thought.

Wednesday, 10th December 2008

The true extent of Britain's debt

FRASER NELSON 6:17pm

How much is Britain’s true national debt? Gordon Brown says 37% of GDP, the ONS says 43% of GDP – but this is just government debt. The reason Britain is in so much trouble is that our corporate and household debts are huge. It is the combination that makes us such a credit liability – but no one has ever put together a combination.

Until now.

Michael Saunders from CitiGroup has calculated ‘external debt’ – ie, what Britain owes the rest of the world. It is not 40% but 400% of GDP, the highest in the G7 by some margin. The next down, France, is 176%. America, flagellating itself for blowing such a debt bubble, is just 100%. Japan is about half America. The below graph shows ‘external debt’ – both in mid-2008, and five years ago.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/3078296/the-true-extent-of-britains-debt.thtml

I think SF attracts moaners...prob something to do with a lack of umph in their lives.

As has been said...we do have it pretty good, even at the bottom compared to some..

My god it certainly does. Makes you wonder about the sad sacks that complain on here. I pity them to be honest because they must have dull and miserable lives.

Moan moan...immigrants...moan moan pot holes....ooh my street lights are broken moan moan....oh crikey my friends cousin's work mate's next door neighbour had his car stolen...moan moan I'm not allowed to break the speed limit...

Yes Its worse than we thought.

Wednesday, 10th December 2008

The true extent of Britain's debt

FRASER NELSON 6:17pm

How much is Britain’s true national debt? Gordon Brown says 37% of GDP, the ONS says 43% of GDP – but this is just government debt. The reason Britain is in so much trouble is that our corporate and household debts are huge. It is the combination that makes us such a credit liability – but no one has ever put together a combination.

Until now.

Michael Saunders from CitiGroup has calculated ‘external debt’ – ie, what Britain owes the rest of the world. It is not 40% but 400% of GDP, the highest in the G7 by some margin. The next down, France, is 176%. America, flagellating itself for blowing such a debt bubble, is just 100%. Japan is about half America. The below graph shows ‘external debt’ – both in mid-2008, and five years ago.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/3078296/the-true-extent-of-britains-debt.thtml

That works out as a total external debt of £6,000 billion or so and would mean each and every one of us, man, womand and child, owes Johnny Foreigner about £100,000.

Most of this external debt is foreign liabilities of the banking sector. There will also be an almost equal amount of foreign assets.

The figures are meaningless, so there is no need for you or anyone to run around screaming. The article just goes to show why the Spectator is such a pile of rubbish.

As I said yesterday, UK debt in proportion to GDP is about half what it was in 1956, and much less than it was in the 1920s and Victorian period. To get the debt back under control from the peak in the 50s did not require any huge frugalities, just sensible economic policies.

That works out as a total external debt of £6,000 billion or so and would mean each and every one of us, man, womand and child, owes Johnny Foreigner about £100,000.

Most of this external debt is foreign liabilities of the banking sector. There will also be an almost equal amount of foreign assets.

The figures are meaningless, so there is no need for you or anyone to run around screaming. The article just goes to show why the Spectator is such a pile of rubbish.

As I said yesterday, UK debt in proportion to GDP is about half what it was in 1956, and much less than it was in the 1920s and Victorian period. To get the debt back under control from the peak in the 50s did not require any huge frugalities, just sensible economic policies.

You haven't mentioned the interest, we'll have to start printing money just to

keep up with that.

Archived