Country in a mess!

I'm sick of idiots like you saying how great it is when it's rubbish! Have you been in hopital lately???? Have you worked & paid into the sysytem for best part of 20 years & find yourself out of work & cannot get a bean. It''s the utter unfairness of the system that stinks![/QUOTE]

That is NOT true! The system is only unfair to some, what is wrong with that anyhow?:suspect:

Another thing all the moaners on here seem to forget is that a hell of a lot peoples jobs depend on the the money spent by people on benefits and tax credits. How many times do you here the small shopkeeper or tradesman going on about working all hours to support their families whilst the undeserving seem to go about spending money willy nilly. Well if the government had not supported the economy through the recession by raising housing and council tax benefits allowances, pension credits and the like, then alot of those businesses would have gone bust. As call me Dave likes to say - we're all in this together.

It wasn't the governments money in the first place, and its all got to be paid

back with interest. The whole country has been reduced to scrounger status.

Blair was borrowing money when the economy was OK.

No need to mention interest. The debt figures you have quoted are offset by debts owed to us.

If you want to run around screaming in a panic about the credit crisis then go ahead don't let me stop you, just don't expect me to be joining in.

Never mind the credit crunch.

They were borrowing vast sums of money before that.

The economy was in good shape, but they couldn't resist the easy way.

It became a mania with them, they were irresponsible.

It wasn't the governments money in the first place, and its all got to be paid

back with interest. The whole country has been reduced to scrounger status.

Blair was borrowing money when the economy was OK.

Like him or not (and remember a hell of a lot of people voted for him), Blair was elected to to rebuild this country's crumbling public sector. People voted for new schools and hospitals as an investment for the future. It took a long time to achieve but we are now beginning to see the benefits in our communities. Destroying services can be done with the stroke a pen (as Mrs T proved), but rebuilding takes years.

• 2 weeks later...

Britain has some good things - the NHS, Henderson's Relish, Midlands Pork Scratchings, decent public transportation. It also has some terrible things... Carling, the weather, the dole... But the biggest problem we've noticed is the beaurocracy and the excess spending associated with it. EVERYTHING requires paperwork here, and while for a lot of things it makes sense, for a lot of others it doesn't. I have to make an application to HMRC so I can make a tax return? If you're not the blood parent or official carer of a child, you have to make an application to the court to make an application for contact, residency, etc... which really increases the number of applications the court has to process. So much more would get done if the public sector was not so concerned about ticking boxes on paperwork that allows them to tick more boxes.

However isn't the average person overall far better off than in any time in history.

Well the average person is certainly in a lot more debt than any time in history. Are you one of those debt = wealth types? I think the Greeks used to take that approach as well.

Collective UK personal debt hits £1.46 trillion

As debt in the UK reaches new levels Debt Advisory Line asks; Is the UK debt mountain out of control?

LINK

Britain has some good things - the NHS, Henderson's Relish, Midlands Pork Scratchings, decent public transportation. It also has some terrible things... Carling, the weather, the dole... But the biggest problem we've noticed is the beaurocracy and the excess spending associated with it. EVERYTHING requires paperwork here, and while for a lot of things it makes sense, for a lot of others it doesn't. I have to make an application to HMRC so I can make a tax return? If you're not the blood parent or official carer of a child, you have to make an application to the court to make an application for contact, residency, etc... which really increases the number of applications the court has to process. So much more would get done if the public sector was not so concerned about ticking boxes on paperwork that allows them to tick more boxes.

I had to appear before a court just to get a war medal I was owed.

There is to much fuss made over things.

Archived