Hurlfield Boys School

• 1 year later...

Was anyone at Hurlfield, in the B stream, from ,57 to ,61. The headmaster was Mr Edgerton, basically a nice bloke. The deputy head was Mr Lupton, a giant of a man with hands like dinner plates. I can only assume he was thrown out of the S.S. for being too cruel.

The teachers that I rember were Harry Whitehouse,(great teacher), Miss Salt, the only woman teacher in a boys school, who always had the top two buttons of her blouse open so that when she bent down, we could all see right down "division street". I think Mr Howarth was the arts teacher, Mr Gaskin, Science, and Mr Crowshaw, maths.

I left Stand House Primary School to go to Hurlfield Boys between 1957 and 1961 and remember those teachers especially Miss Salt who taught geography and was into mountain climbing. There was also Mr Goodfellow, Mr March and I think Mr Field the music teacher. Mr Crawshaw took us for maths. The houses were Nelson, Rodney, Beatty and Anson. Used to go to the chip shop down the road at dinnertimes and share a bread cob chip butty. I remember some of the other teachers but not their names.

Hi alby.

I generally went home for dinner, but occasionally had a bread cob chip butty and a frozen jubbly. One lad in our year lived at the chippy, his dad being the owner, but I cant remember his name.

Mr. Wilson took us for woodwork and there was a Mr. Haythorne although I cant remember what subject he taught. One of the older boys, Dave, sometimes played piano at assembly,s, and pop music at dinner time.

Was anyone at Hurlfield, in the B stream, from ,57 to ,61. The headmaster was Mr Edgerton, basically a nice bloke. The deputy head was Mr Lupton, a giant of a man with hands like dinner plates. I can only assume he was thrown out of the S.S. for being too cruel.

The teachers that I rember were Harry Whitehouse,(great teacher), Miss Salt, the only woman teacher in a boys school, who always had the top two buttons of her blouse open so that when she bent down, we could all see right down "division street". I think Mr Howarth was the arts teacher, Mr Gaskin, Science, and Mr Crowshaw, maths.

I was there 1958-60 and remember those teachers except sadly Miss Salt.I might have stayed longer if I knew her !!!Mr Whitehouse was a good encouraging teacher.Machin was the PT sadist.If the snow was too deep for football he used to send us running around the pitch while he stayed in his hut.Trevor Wright the world famous cross country runner was in the same class although I wasnt in his class at running.

Youre right about Mr Whitehouse. He was my form teacher for three years, and also took us for English and Drama. I,ll never forget Machin.He once wrongly accused me of throwing a medicine ball at someone,(in fact it was the other way round), and I recieved two strokes of the slipper on gym shorts. Very painful! I also had the pleasure of running round the pitch in heavy sleet, while Machin stayed under cover.

I didnt realise Trevor Wright was the same Trevor Wright from Hurlfield. I seem to think he was also very good at cricket. A fast bowler if I remember correctly.

I was there 1957-1961 too and remember all these teachers (who could ever forget Bill Machin). I'm sure that my wife thought I was making up stories of abuse etc. but when I showed her some of the replies elsewhere on this forum regarding our gym teacher she now realizes that I was not telling porkies. Don't forget Taffy Morgan, also a sadistic b******. He is the person who converted me to Atheism. Not bad for someone who was teaching religion.

Hi alby.

I generally went home for dinner, but occasionally had a bread cob chip butty and a frozen jubbly. One lad in our year lived at the chippy, his dad being the owner, but I cant remember his name.

Mr. Wilson took us for woodwork and there was a Mr. Haythorne although I cant remember what subject he taught. One of the older boys, Dave, sometimes played piano at assembly,s, and pop music at dinner time.

I seem to remember Mr Haythorne chasing a pupil up the stairs,along the top corridor,down the stairs,along the bottom corridor etc.The pupil was shouting help ,help theres a murderer after me !!! I must admit I liked the indoor hurdles in the gym but the outside ones were a lot higher (and metal).