LibLab pact/coalition

According to a MORI poll last night, voters are sick of the arguing and would prefer a coalition government to sort out the problems this country is facing.

I'd be in favour of one. What's wrong with getting the best from each party?

I get the feeling that a Tory-LibDem coalition would be much fairer than a Labour-LibDem one.

If they release a statement promising not to form a coalition with Labour with Gordon Brown as PM, I would seriously consider voting LibDem.

You aren't the only one saying that.

It would be a betrayal of all the years of promise of electoral reform and proportional representation if the party with the least votes was returned to power.

What if they use a pact to force through electoral reform and PR? (ie "you will vote for this or we remove our support")

The LibLab Pact in the seventies foundered on exactly that issue, and Labour muddled on as a minority government until losing a vote of no confidence.

Clegg has said that, in a hung Parliament, he would swing his party behind whoever had "the biggest mandate" - which could mean either the most seats, or the most votes, but if Labour are a bad third in either category he'd be wrecking his party for a long time if he propped them up. (And the same would apply to holding up a lame-duck Tory administration, come to that.)

On the other hand if Clegg came behind the Conservatives he has the chance to be the greatest and most influential Lib-Dem leader of modern times, wield influence, promote change, and consign Labour to the third spot for decades.

It doesn't seem like much of a choice for a politician, but as a politician he'll hold his hand close to his chest until it's clear that Gordon and Labour is finished. Will another week do it?

On the other hand if Clegg came behind the Conservatives he has the chance to be the greatest and most influential Lib-Dem leader of modern times, wield influence, promote change, and consign Labour to the third spot for decades.

It doesn't seem like much of a choice for a politician, but as a politician he'll hold his hand close to his chest until it's clear that Gordon and Labour is finished. Will another week do it?

IMO Clegg will go for the best long term interests of the Lib Dem party which is the adoption of PR.

I suspect Clegg may believe he has more chance of persuading Nulabour to switch from their AV preference to PR than he has of persuading the Conservatives to adopt any kind of electoral reform.

IMO Clegg will go for the best long term interests of the Lib Dem party which is the adoption of PR.

If the Lib-Dems are ever to start reaching 40%-plus of the vote, then PR is very much against their own long-term interests, and in favour of the party they supplant.

I won't vote Lib/Dem until I find out which Prime Minister I will be voting for.

I voted L/D in the last election.

unless you live in the constituencies of sheffield hallam, whitney, or dunfermline east you wont be voting for a prime minister

unless you live in the constituencies of sheffield hallam, whitney, or dunfermline east you wont be voting for a prime minister

And he may not be even then, if a bizarre election result sees, for example, the Conservatives win an absolute majority but Cameron lose his seat.

I've heard Labour and the Libs have formed a coalition before in the 70's. How likely is this again in a hung Parliament? The reason I ask is because I'm split between Tories and Lib Dem, but there is no way on God's green Earth I'll give it to the Libs if all they're going to do is sell out to Labour. If I were to vote LibDem, it would be a vote against Labour, not an approval for them to get in to bed together.

I really don’t understand this and perhaps you or one of the many others who say the wrong thing can explain it to me.

Surely we are voting for a Government that will implement policies that affect us all and surely the Libs should align with the Party that is closest to their policies.

Now unless I’m mistaken the following applies:

Libs want to get rid of Trident, Tories want to strengthen it

Libs want to reduce taxes for the poor, Tories for the rich

Libs want to be a part of Europe, Tories would prefer to be out of it

Libs want to Tax the rich property owners, Tories want to give them more tax back

Libs want to be soft on crime, Tories tough

Libs want to be soft on Immigration, Tories tough on it

Libs want to keep public services, Tories want to slash them

Libs didn’t want to support Iraq, Tories did

Libs want to invest in Education, Tories cut spending

So how can you be undecided between these two parties whose policies seem to be the complete opposite of each other.

Archived