LibLab pact/coalition

So how would the Liberals and Tories reach a compromise on those issues I've highlighted when they are at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Where is the common ground when Clegg want a Mansion Tax to hit the rich,whilst Cameron wants to remove Inheritance Tax which benefits the rich?

How could Labour and the Liberals compromise upon ID cards?

If you really want to play that game you can cherry pick policies to make it look like the Liberals can only work with the Conservatives as well you know.

If the Liberals work with either Labour or the Conservatives both sides will have to make concessions on a range of issues.

How could Labour and the Liberals compromise upon ID cards?

If you really want to play that game you can cherry pick policies to make it look like the Liberals can only work with the Conservatives as well you know.

If the Liberals work with either Labour or the Conservatives both sides will have to make concessions on a range of issues.

I would suspect that if the price to pay for the Liberals support was this policy then they'd snatch their hand off!

I would suspect that if the price to pay for the Liberals support was this policy then they'd snatch their hand off!

Way to miss the point, it's not just that policy is it? And the Liberals would clearly require rather more than that to join any government in a process which will involve give and take on both sides.

Simple point which everybody misses completely and it's why young Cleggy has the Tories in an awful tangle.

A lib-lab pact will be followed by electoral reform that will mean the Tories will never form another government. Ever!

I'D love to see that happen. 60 odd years they've had it, a change would be nice.

imo both parties have some good policies which I can support, both have policies I can disagree with, rarely can I fully support every single line put out by a particular party even if I support most of the policies but then I don't really know anybody who can. Unfortunately we can't usually cherry pick, it's got to be one or the other and just accept they each have policies I might not agree with.

They better get together pretty quick.

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

Simple point which everybody misses completely and it's why young Cleggy has the Tories in an awful tangle.

A lib-lab pact will be followed by electoral reform that will mean the Tories will never form another government. Ever!

I'D love to see that happen. 60 odd years they've had it, a change would be nice.

If you are referring to full PR, wouldn't that see the party with largest popular vote gain the larger share of seats? Going on current polls, that would see a Conservative government! The only party that will be harmed by full PR is Labour, as at the moment it's looking like Labour could still get the most seats yet with the least amount of total votes.

If you are referring to full PR, wouldn't that see the party with largest popular vote gain the larger share of seats? Going on current polls, that would see a Conservative government! The only party that will be harmed by full PR is Labour, as at the moment it's looking like Labour could still get the most seats yet with the least amount of total votes.

But no party would have a workable majority ever again. We would always have coalition government. And that would never mean a lab-tory pack or a lib-tory pact. The only hope for the tories is that the others (UKIP etc...) become sufficiently strong and willing to work with the conservatives. Otherwise no tory governments again.

That is why they are so worried. They know that any electoral reform under a lib-lab government will exclude them from government with no chance of ever getting back in. Some chaps who know better than me were discussing exactly this scenario on the radio yesterday and why it worries the tories so much. Their own fault - they've bombed it. If Cameron really was that good he should have destroyed Clegg in the debates. Blair would have. Maggie would have. John Smith would have.

But no party would have a workable majority ever again. We would always have coalition government. And that would never mean a lab-tory pack or a lib-tory pact. The only hope for the tories is that the others (UKIP etc...) become sufficiently strong and willing to work with the conservatives. Otherwise no tory governments again.

That is why they are so worried. They know that any electoral reform under a lib-lab government will exclude them from government with no chance of ever getting back in. Some chaps who know better than me were discussing exactly this scenario on the radio yesterday and why it worries the tories so much. Their own fault - they've bombed it. If Cameron really was that good he should have destroyed Clegg in the debates. Blair would have. Maggie would have. John Smith would have.

:loopy: This has got to win hysterical overreaction of the week.

The Liberals could well work with the Conservatives in the coming Parliament to declare that they could never do so ever is simply absurd.

:loopy: This has got to win hysterical overreaction of the week.

The Liberals could well work with the Conservatives in the coming Parliament to declare that they could never do so ever is simply absurd.

It's not an over-reaction. It is exactly the scenario I heard discussed on the radio yesterday. Also John Lloyd from the Reuters Institute at Oxford University is quoted as saying the same thing in Oliver Burkeman's column in the Guardian yesterday:

"Before the first debate the Tories thought they might be in power for three terms, and the debate ha made it possible they'll never get in again, if the Lib Dems hold the balance of power and we get proportional representation"

Perfectly reasonable argument I think. It's your problem if you don't. Cameron is weak, so weak he couldn't project a more positive image than the leader of a party that hasn't held more than a 100 seats for decades. He thought he had it in the bag. He just blew it.

And no, the conservatives will not be teaming up with the Lib Dems. Not a hope.

Sorry

It's not an over-reaction. It is exactly the scenario I heard discussed on the radio yesterday. Also John Lloyd from the Reuters Institute at Oxford University is quoted as saying the same thing in Oliver Burkeman's column in the Guardian yesterday:

"Before the first debate the Tories thought they might be in power for three terms, and the debate ha made it possible they'll never get in again, if the Lib Dems hold the balance of power and we get proportional representation"

Perfectly reasonable argument I think. It's your problem if you don't. Cameron is weak, so weak he couldn't project a more positive image than the leader of a party that hasn't held more than a 100 seats for decades. He thought he had it in the bag. He just blew it.

And no, the conservatives will not be teaming up with the Lib Dems. Not a hope.

Sorry

Well if somebody said on the radio that the conservatives will never ever form a coalition with the Liberals then it must be true :roll:

Things change in politics even if the Liberals and Conservatives were utterly incompatible right now, which isn't the case, it's insane to declare that they never will be. Just compare Labours policies now as compared to the early 80s, the Lib Dems could never have partnered with such a party yet now you are claiming they will never work with anyone else ever.

You are right to say that the Tories seemed to think they'd win the election pretty much by default which hardly seems to case anymore. But it's utterly absurd to leap from that to declaring they will never be in power ever again.

Archived