Should stupid people be allowed to vote?

I'm not entirely serious but from conversations I keep hearing it seem that many people are using terrible methods to decide who to vote for. Should you have to prove you aren't basing your vote on the rubbish you have read in the paper or seen on the TV. Almost every news source is filled with biased views depending on their own political stance. Yet I hear people repeating these stories as fact.

So if you can't prove you have a real understanding of why you are voting should you even be allowed to? I suggest an IQ test on the polling station door! I might not get in either but it would be worth it. It's the only way to stop the Daily Mail and the Sun deciding who runs the country :hihi:

I'm not entirely serious but from conversations I keep hearing it seem that many people are using terrible methods to decide who to vote for. Should you have to prove you aren't basing your vote on the rubbish you have read in the paper or seen on the TV. Almost every news source is filled with biased views depending on their own political stance. Yet I hear people repeating these stories as fact.

So if you can't prove you have a real understanding of why you are voting should you even be allowed to? I suggest an IQ test on the polling station door! I might not get in either but it would be worth it. It's the only way to stop the Daily Mail and the Sun deciding who runs the country :hihi:

It makes a lot of sense but would be incredibly complicated. Imagine the vote counters having to mark every test papers before deciding whether to count the person's vote!

A simpler way to determine intelligence is to measure it against income and where you live, as the cleverer you are the more you earn. You should only be allowed to vote if you live in a nice area and earn more than £20,000 a year.

It disturbs me sometimes, how remarkably dumb some people seem to be and yet are allowed to vote; but the idea that the vote could be restricted from any group of people disturbs me far more.

No, there shouldn't be a bar on it. The cure is worse than the disease.

Sorry but thats the biggest load of rubbish i have heard in a long time yes your right on the basis that it would take forever to mark IQ tests.

Now personally i dont vote but ive no doubt I could pass an IQ test as im actually bright yes i dont earn £20,000 or more a year but thats simply because I haven't been able to find a different job and its not asif im a waster because i work at the moment.

Its absolutely diobolical to say that because you earn £20,000 or more that makes you a clever person and how can the area you live in possibly determine your level of intelligience.

It makes a lot of sense but would be incredibly complicated. Imagine the vote counters having to mark every test papers before deciding whether to count the person's vote!

A simpler way to determine intelligence is to measure it against income and where you live, as the cleverer you are the more you earn. You should only be allowed to vote if you live in a nice area and earn more than £20,000 a year.

My next idea was to force everyone in the country to take an IQ test (maybe even 3 and use the average to make it fair) then the bottom 30% are round up and shot. Just imagine a country without all the stupid people. I think we already live in a great country but all the things that do annoy can be put down to the idiots. For the sake of stupid people lets all hope I never take charge!

I would settle for not letting them have a say in who runs the country as a start. :hihi:

(p.s. I can see many many reasons why everything I have said on this thread should never happen, obviously!)

Stupid people have a right to representation. People voting for idealogical instead of factual reasons have every right to do so.

There's no moral ground to restrict the vote on any arbitrary basis (although we do based on age, which is justified as being down to understanding), and even if there were the process would be open to massive levels of abuse to manipulate the system in favour of the incumbent government.

Archived