Why do people go hunting in skips

I've done some deliberate skip 'shopping' in the past

I wanted a shower tray to make a dog toilet in the garden, but prices for new ones are silly, or if you get a £40 one, is it going to stand up to harsh sunlight and the outdoors?

I decided I was likely to find one in a skip relatively easily, so kept an eye out. I'd just given up and decided I'd have to have a new one, when I found exactly what I was looking for - though the owner did give me a really strange look for asking if I could take it. It's a colour that's gone out of fashion, and it's not in a condition I'd fit in a bathroom, but it's a good solid stonecast one - perfect for what I needed it for :)

The skip hire companies must tip off their 'preferred' skip rats, cos as soon as you have one outside your house they are round. I remember we had one a few years back and we chucked away a sunbed, big heavy top and bottom thing it was, and in working order but had been left in the garage unused so in the skip it went, some guy pulled up that night and wrestled with it for half an hour before giving up. It did go the following day though, so he must have returned with a mate.

I've seen people skiprat and have £100 to show for it later on that day on quite a few occasions. I've seen somebody pull champagne out of one!

I like the signs people put up on skips the best though, 'If you want to come looking through my skip, please come round and do it at a sensible time instead of at 3:00am in the morning and waking everyone up!"

Spot on! I usually have a look through skips to see if there's anything useful. When it comes to getting rid of stuff, I'll ask friends if they want it and, if I have no takers, I put it on Sheffield Freegle.

I was brought up poor, and still don't like to see stuff thrown away if it can be used by someone else. It just seems wrong.

I only ever seem to pass skips full of rubble but two of my friends have found really good quality bikes in perfect working order just casually thrown out as well as antique items of furniture. Another friend built a very large shed on his allotment from reclaimed wood he found in skips over a matter of weeks.

It sounds like you've had some great finds, more people should do it. I can't understand how people can be conditioned to discard useful things and splash out the latest and most fashionable model.

I bet when i get a skip in a few weeks no one comes and starts taking stuff from it.

It will have about 4 tons of mud/clay in it!

If anyone is still interested maybe you can save me money and level the backgarden for me, that way i don't need to pay for a skip! :D

Thanks, but also don't you have to be quite tall to even look into a skip, let alone pull something out..... the ones I've seen you need a ladder to see whats in :)

Not so... If it's a mini skip (about the size of a mini metrog) they are usually the best ones to dip as most of them are for when people are moving house. ;) Proper little gold mines them beauties :D:D

I bet when i get a skip in a few weeks no one comes and starts taking stuff from it.

It will have about 4 tons of mud/clay in it!

If anyone is still interested maybe you can save me money and level the backgarden for me, that way i don't need to pay for a skip! :D

Sell the clay to a local organic potter ££ Ker Ching ;) Quids in ...

Archived