Can you name a Muslim country?

I can tell you that at east two of that list could be considered wrong. Malaysia has about 60% Muslims and Indonesia, 86%.

Both have secular government and not Muslim ones but both have laws specific to the Muslims only as well as normal national laws.

This is to avoid a situation where a non Muslim is arrested for a crime that does not apply to his religion.

So drinking in both countries is illegal for Muslims but alcohol is available to the others.

That's messed up bro, all should be equal under the law. Having one law for one type of people and one law for another is an absolutely horrible idea IMO.

Also, as you've just pointed out, in both Indonesia and Malaysia the state enforces Islamic religious laws (such as no alcohol) so is it really unreasonable to call them Muslim states? And it's clearly not secular, if the state is enforcing religious laws then it is definitely not secular.

I can tell you that at east two of that list could be considered wrong. Malaysia has about 60% Muslims and Indonesia, 86%.

Both have secular government and not Muslim ones but both have laws specific to the Muslims only as well as normal national laws.

This is to avoid a situation where a non Muslim is arrested for a crime that does not apply to his religion.

So drinking in both countries is illegal for Muslims but alcohol is available to the others.

As I posted earlier, a lot of people seem to be confusing Muslim countries with Islamic states.

The UK and many other European countries would (certainly up to 30 years ago) be considered Christian countries. That doesn't stop us being a democracy, a monarchy or anything else.. Indeed the Queen is head of the Church of England.

In which case the BNP's policy of banning immigration from "Muslim countries" isn't going to affect many people.

I wonder if they thought it through properly or whether they just wrote it on a fag packet after a session down the King's Head?

:) The problem is, to think something through, you have to be able to, erm... think

That's messed up bro, all should be equal under the law. Having one law for one type of people and one law for another is an absolutely horrible idea IMO.

Also, as you've just pointed out, in both Indonesia and Malaysia the state enforces Islamic religious laws (such as no alcohol) so is it really unreasonable to call them Muslim states? And it's clearly not secular, if the state is enforcing religious laws then it is definitely not secular.

It's a reasonable way to be. The Muslim only laws are restricted to Muslims so other people can live in the way they wish to without being restricted by laws designed for the majority.

For instance a Christian, Buddhist or whatever can legally buy and drink alcohol but a Muslim may not.

Seems like a fair way to be because it takes into account the thoughts and feeling of minority groups.

It's a reasonable way to be. The Muslim only laws are restricted to Muslims so other people can live in the way they wish to without being restricted by laws designed for the majority.

For instance a Christian, Buddhist or whatever can legally buy and drink alcohol but a Muslim may not.

Seems like a fair way to be because it takes into account the thoughts and feeling of minority groups.

Don't get me wrong I think it's better than forcing everyone to abide by Muslim religious rules but I still don't think it's the state's place to enforce religious laws, it's completely the opposite of secularism.

Archived