Anyone got any good moneymaking ideas?

How are you with websites/internet publishing? It's quite easy to set up a website these days using Wordpress or other templates. Low overheads. Build it around a passion/something you're knowledgable on so you'll be able to write plenty of content. Provide a valuable service. It takes some time, but as traffic grows you have several money making options - advertising, referrer fees, affiliate commission, donations, selling your own ebook etc.

I started by using a hosting package called SiteBuildIt - does most of the technical work for you, leaving you just to input your content.

Make videos on YouTube and build a brand around your site.

The internet is a fantastic money making environment!

If the man in the street can make money on gambling how come Ladbrokes and William Hills do so well?:roll:

What is described in that article I linked to isn't gambling. You cover all outcomes of an event, so whatever the result you win. You do this using the money given by the bookies to tempt you to sign up with them.

How are you with websites/internet publishing? It's quite easy to set up a website these days using Wordpress or other templates. Low overheads. Build it around a passion/something you're knowledgable on so you'll be able to write plenty of content. Provide a valuable service. It takes some time, but as traffic grows you have several money making options - advertising, referrer fees, affiliate commission, donations, selling your own ebook etc.

I started by using a hosting package called SiteBuildIt - does most of the technical work for you, leaving you just to input your content.

Make videos on YouTube and build a brand around your site.

The internet is a fantastic money making environment!

Sounds good, but as I am sure you know there are plans to tax "websites" in the same manner as high street stores. We are just an election away from it, but I wish you well with your venture.

Sounds good, but as I am sure you know there are plans to tax "websites" in the same manner as high street stores. We are just an election away from it, but I wish you well with your venture.

Do you have a source for this?

You would of course be liable for income tax like anyone else, but there is no such thing as a "website tax" that I know of, existing or planned.

Edit: Sounds like you're talking about online stores, not information sites, which is the type of site I was talking about - no hard goods, no stock, no checkout, just words, images, videos and links.

Do you have a source for this?

You would of course be liable for income tax like anyone else, but there is no such thing as a "website tax" that I know of, existing or planned.

The imbalance will soon be addressed. Websites are fast closing retail stores, as you rightly say, no overheads. The closing of retail stores means less tax revenue, thus the requirement for the new tax.

The imbalance will soon be addressed. Websites are fast closing retail stores, as you rightly say, no overheads. The closing of retail stores means less tax revenue, thus the requirement for the new tax.

Yes I'm sure that's where things are heading. However, there is a distinction between retail sites and information sites, the latter of which is what I was suggesting.

Info sites can simply be blogs which don't involve any transaction or custom. You therefore don't have to register as a business, simply declare self employed and pay income tax on anything you earn from advertising, commission etc.

When you run an info site you are technically a traffic aggregator. Traffic finds your site on the search engines, you funnel it through links to product vendors and earn the commission on their sales. They sell the product so they handle the custom and business related taxes. You are just some guy sending them traffic.

Yes I'm sure that's where things are heading. However, there is a distinction between retail sites and information sites, the latter of which is what I was suggesting.

Info sites can simply be blogs which don't involve any transaction or custom. You therefore don't have to register as a business, simply declare self employed and pay income tax on anything you earn from advertising, commission etc.

When you run an info site you are technically a traffic aggregator. Traffic finds your site on the search engines, you funnel it through links to product vendors and earn the commission on their sales. They sell the product so they handle the custom and business related taxes. You are just some guy sending them traffic.

Oh well OK. I am sure that you have found a louphole then and that the inland revenue will never spot it.:hihi:

Archived