Smoking with kids in the car

I wasn't having a go at smokers in general & I don't agree with banning smoking in cars. My point was that surely anyone can see that dangling a lit fag from your mouth while leaning over/ picking up a toddler is dangerous. I am against smoking when children (who have no choice) are in the car. I don't think it needs legislation but surely no one is so addicted that they cannot abstain for a car journey??

Because you could not cope if everyone stopped smoking. The national health service for one would probably collapse. The tax you pay would have to increase, and you would probably be taxed on things you may not currently be taxed for.

And why smokers? What about alcohol? Let's ban that. Father's and mothers going home and beating up their kids because they have had one too many; or beating up each other in front of the kids; or fighting about who gets the last glass of wine. Not to mention the affect alcohol has directly on children - or have you not noticed how drinkers of alcohol include children?

But no - have a go at smokers - we are getting used to it.

Nope, we love smokers as long as they don't inflict their cancerous fumes on others. You willingly pay all that tax so we don't have to, and then die young so we don't have to pay for your healthcare. Keep it up! :D

I wasn't having a go at smokers in general & I don't agree with banning smoking in cars. My point was that surely anyone can see that dangling a lit fag from your mouth while leaning over/ picking up a toddler is dangerous. I am against smoking when children (who have no choice) are in the car. I don't think it needs legislation but surely no one is so addicted that they cannot abstain for a car journey??

Thing is, if you drive a new car, that lovely new car smell consists of a cocktail of carcinogens

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1162701

If your argument is on health grounds, we should probably think about banning the use of carcinogens for cosmetic purposes

Yeah but the exhaust isn't pointing directly at a childs face.

Depends if you run over one or not. Sorry - bad sense of humour.

The road does not suddenly absorb all the crap out of the exhaust. Did you think it did? A child in a pram waiting for a bus gets more than its fair share of fumes.

I am not anti smoking at all & tend to smoke socially myself but I hate to see parents smoking in the car with the kids in the back. Its such a confined space.

I saw a much worse sight today though in the Asda carpark - I watched a woman with the fag hanging from her mouth, pick up her toddler (aged about 2) out of the trolly & then put him in a car seat & hang over him, fag still in place while she strapped him in. The lit cigarette was literally an inch from his face at one point & was dangling over his face while she strapped him in.

How disgusting! Why couldn't she have just waited until she had finished before picking him up? As well as a face full of smoke, nicotine & ash the child would have received a nasty burn if he had moved forward. Why do people do this, surely the health if safety of thieir children comes before the need for a nicotine fix?

Coulda been worse, She could have had a clay pipe and knocked the ash out in his arse crack while changing his nappy :D

Who cares? I am a smoker - though not in the presence of children. If there are no children travelling in my car then why should I not smoke?

because its dangerous. you cannot possible have full control of a car with a cancer stick in your hands

Archived