£180 for oil and filter change!

Have you thought that taking it to a dealer could benefit you in the long run if you intend keeping the car? The dealer checks for any recalls too you know? known an example of a customer having to buy a new engine as if it had some work done as part of a recall it would not have blown the engine but as the car had never seen the dealership since new the recall wasnt carried out

My Honda Civic is due is 87K service, I wanted to maintain it's full main dealer service and they want £180 to do it! It's only the oil and filters! It does use expensive oil but still! Apparently they check the brakes (which are fine) and check for any ECU software updates (don't care) and they clean it and I can have a car while it's being done. I just want the oil and filter changing, I can clean it! Robbing gets!

You dont need all that ******** doing. Buy the oil and filter from a parts company (Euro parts, Gsf, Andrew paige) and take it to a local garage and have them do it.

Have you thought that taking it to a dealer could benefit you in the long run if you intend keeping the car? The dealer checks for any recalls too you know? known an example of a customer having to buy a new engine as if it had some work done as part of a recall it would not have blown the engine but as the car had never seen the dealership since new the recall wasnt carried out
I had a car that was recalled it had nothing to do with the dealer, I was the third owner, I was informed by the manufacturer, by post, of the problem.

Dealerships exist to rob us blind. I had a pipe go on my power steering system the other week. LDV would only replace the whole unit for £400 o0dd plus VAT, I got a new pipe made up for £12.80 and replaced it myself, which took about 10 minutes

We bought a car from Autoworld and paid around £500 for an extended warranty that we were told "Was The Equivilent To The First Years Manufacturers Waranty Extended For 3 Years".

The trouble was, that according to them, in reality, nothing was covered.

A £2 clip broke on the clutch cable 11.75 hours to replace, "That'll be £275 (10 years ago) Sir" they claimed it wasn't covered under this super extended warranty like none of the 90+ Hydraulic hoses weren't.

After 1/2 hours ranting they finaly agreed to wave the charge.

I'm not getting in to a dealer bashing argument just merely pointing out of one case where the car owner didnt have any letter from the manufacturer and not visiting his dealer for a £99 cheapo service cost him £3500 for a new engine. Only the dealer can check for any missed recalls and not an independant

We bought a car from Autoworld and paid around £500 for an extended warranty that we were told "Was The Equivilent To The First Years Manufacturers Waranty Extended For 3 Years".

A £200 clip broke on the clutch cable 11.75 hours to replace, "That'll be £275 (10 years ago) Sir" they claimed it wasn't covered under this super extended warranty like none of the 90+ Hydraulic hoses weren't.

this would have been a third party warranty company who would not authorise the repair tho and NOT autoworld, so dont slate the dealer in cases like this

Originally Posted by LaurelCanyon View Post

A £200 clip broke on the clutch cable 11.75 hours to replace, "That'll be £275 (10 years ago) Sir" they claimed it wasn't covered under this super extended warranty like none of the 90+ Hydraulic hoses weren't.

this would have been a third party warranty company who would not authorise the repair tho and NOT autoworld, so dont slate the dealer in cases like this

Why not read the original post by LaurelCanyon, they state quite clearly that they were sold the extended warranty and were told the warranty was equivelent to the first years manufacturers warranty, clearly any onus falls on the dealer for miss selling the warranty and telling lies.

And dealerships can actually ruin cars by not carrying services out correctly and thoroughly. My partners car was totally ruined by a local dealership by them not carrying out proper services and we have never taken any of our cars there again prefering to drive over 300miles to a garage in Clowne where we can be confident that a full service will be done and without being ripped off too.

We were so shocked when we took the previous car in for service to the Clowne garage and the guy asked if the car had ever been serviced!!! Apparently the wrong oil had been put in, the brakes were dangerously low although the dealership had said there was no problem, plus lots of other things were wrong with it. Anyway we got our own back by trading it in at the dealership for a new car and they gave us a really good deal as they could see from the service history it had been regularly serviced by their own people so effectively they gave us more discount on a new car with a car that basically needed scrapping through their own negligence - but we didn't care they could find that out for themselves! Just pity the poor blighter who subsequently bought the car!

And dealerships can actually ruin cars by not carrying services out correctly and thoroughly. My partners car was totally ruined by a local dealership by them not carrying out proper services and we have never taken any of our cars there again prefering to drive over 300miles to a garage in Clowne where we can be confident that a full service will be done and without being ripped off too.

We were so shocked when we took the previous car in for service to the Clowne garage and the guy asked if the car had ever been serviced!!! Apparently the wrong oil had been put in, the brakes were dangerously low although the dealership had said there was no problem, plus lots of other things were wrong with it. Anyway we got our own back by trading it in at the dealership for a new car and they gave us a really good deal as they could see from the service history it had been regularly serviced by their own people so effectively they gave us more discount on a new car with a car that basically needed scrapping through their own negligence - but we didn't care they could find that out for themselves! Just pity the poor blighter who subsequently bought the car!

I think your over exaggerating a bit there, no car would need scrapping due to poor servicing! the op claims that his £180 service on his honda is just an oil change so how can that not be done? even an oil change can prevent engine damage. There is more than you think to a service than just changing the oil. Seems to me dealers cant win, if they told you your brakes needed replacing you wopuld be saying they are trying to rip you off by saying it needs extra work and now you are saying they said the brakes were ok. damned if they do..damned if they dont. So how did your mechanic know the oil wasnt changed?

I think your over exaggerating a bit there, no car would need scrapping due to poor servicing! the op claims that his £180 service on his honda is just an oil change so how can that not be done? even an oil change can prevent engine damage. There is more than you think to a service than just changing the oil. Seems to me dealers cant win, if they told you your brakes needed replacing you wopuld be saying they are trying to rip you off by saying it needs extra work and now you are saying they said the brakes were ok. damned if they do..damned if they dont. So how did your mechanic know the oil wasnt changed?

Ah! I get it you work for a dealership!!!!! Well, we all have our crosses to bear.

Believe me mate I am not exaggerating. In my view if a car is serviced by the same dealership every time then it is quite easy for them to get away with anything - the car owner cannot be guaranteed that what the dealership mechanics say they have done has actually been done!!!

Re the oil change - alright I'll reword that - apparently the oil had been changed but not to the correct specification oil and it had caused damage.

Of course we can only take the word of a good mechanic who actually cares about cars and goes that extra mile when servicing them - not just looking on a computer to see what the logistics say or just ticking boxes.

It was the mechanic at the Clowne garage who told us to get rid of the car as lots of damage had been done through it not having been serviced properly over the years and it would cost a hell of a lot of money to get it right again and that it wasn't worth it. The car by the way was only 5 years old!!!!

The reason we drive so many miles to get our cars serviced is that we TRUST the mechanics who look after our cars and we know that we aren't going to get fobbed off or ripped off with over inflated prices PLUS we know that when we drive off the forecourt the car has been serviced and serviced PROPERLY!!

What we have found at dealerships (and incidentally have actually been told by someone who works for a dealership) is that they can only spend a certain amount of time servicing a car so if there is anything wrong or needs that extra bit doing then they either get you to come back or if, say, its something they THINK could last a little longer they wll say that everything is alright and hope for the best whilst ticking the box to say that that particular item has been serviced.

The mechanic at the garage where we go to actually goes to great pains to tell you what he has done, if he has had to replace any parts he will actually show you the part that has been taken off and replaced and explain thoroughly what he has had to do. He actually looks around the entire car to see if there could be anything wrong with it - like I say he goes that extra bit - not just ticking boxes.

Also the difference between this mechanic and a normal dealership is that he has a great PASSION for cars and for his work - he hasn't got half a dozen cars to get through in a day and more importantly he doesn't have TARGETS to reach.

He is independent, owns his garage and actually cares and works for the customer!!!

I think more drivers should use independent garages for car services rather than going to dealerships. No warranties have been invalidated as he is certified to Fiat to service their vehicles and like I have said previously he doesn't rip people off with over-inflated prices. A win-win situation really.

Now can you say that about a dealership?

Archived