£180 for oil and filter change!

exactly what i was getting at! but if your as stubborn and as gullable as some people on here then they will never admit that their mechanic can be wrong they will just beleive everything they are told by him as though its gospel truth

If I have a car that gets wrecked by taking it to a dealership who NEVER EVER shows me any parts that have been removed or TELLS me what he has done, apart from ticking a few boxes; opposed to someone who shows me the parts that have been removed and replaced with authentic parts, who explains what he has done and is also CHEAPER than a dealership but does a better job then I think I know who the "gullible" ones are here and I don't think its me matey!!!

If I have a car that gets wrecked by taking it to a dealership who NEVER EVER shows me any parts that have been removed or TELLS me what he has done, apart from ticking a few boxes; opposed to someone who shows me the parts that have been removed and replaced with authentic parts, who explains what he has done and is also CHEAPER than a dealership but does a better job then I think I know who the "gullible" ones are here and I don't think its me matey!!!

why would the dealer want to show you the old parts?, its like the independant is trying to prove he has done the job? why would a dealer NOT do the job cos any resulting damage would come back to them wouldnt it? you could always ask to see the old parts? and i have explained why the dealer maybe more expensive because of overheads (ie. the big fancy showroom for you to wait in and drink their coffee in)

If you want to maintain it's full main dealer service theres no option , this in the long run will add value to the resale value.

If you dont want to maintain it's full main dealer service then goto a back street grease monkey who will do it for about £60

Simples

You don't have to go to a dealership to maintain full dealership service, that is misinformation that you're giving out, it is also illegal to insist that a vehicle is taken to a dealer for servicing etc. Quite frankly I don't trust many of the main dealerships where one experienced mechanic is usualy in charge of a bunch of juniors that the dealership charges full rate for.

why would the dealer want to show you the old parts?, its like the independant is trying to prove he has done the job? why would a dealer NOT do the job cos any resulting damage would come back to them wouldnt it? you could always ask to see the old parts? and i have explained why the dealer maybe more expensive because of overheads (ie. the big fancy showroom for you to wait in and drink their coffee in)

True, I knew where the old failed part was the dealer I'd mentioned earlier had put it back on my brand new car, needless to say it fell off again a day later.

Regarding the big fancy showroom; well, that is too daft to answer.:loopy:

Some years ago I took my car in for servicing. I left the car with them throughout the day. I collected it after work that day. The following day I realised that they had taken my nearly new expensive Dunlop tyres off and replaced them with some almost worn out horrible cheap tyres.

We were so shocked when we took the previous car in for service to the Clowne garage and the guy asked if the car had ever been serviced!!! Apparently the wrong oil had been put in, the brakes were dangerously low although the dealership had said there was no problem, plus lots of other things were wrong with it.

Odd then that you would choose to sell it on and not get back the monies you'd paid for the servicing. Why wouldn't you just get the mechanic to write down his findings then challenge the dealer to repair and compensate?

Just an update. I took the car to A-Z car parts (or spares) on Wellgate in Rotherham. They were really good. £65 for the oil, filter, air filter and fitting. They showed me the state the filters were in (a bit overdue) and also that the sump guard was missing so advised me to get a new and and they would fit it for me.

It looks like a spares shop from the front but they have a garage round the back. Highly recomended. :)

I did try you hathersage but you did not answer.

Archived