Prewarning to 17 year old drivers wanting car insurance!

hi , I would like to just warn 17 year old drivers who have just passed there test to be cautious of what insurance you get .

because you are under 18 you cannot legally have a direct debit account, but in some cases you can do it through for example your parents account ... some only allow you to pay the full amount.

but some insures like endleigh :rant: unbeknown to the 17 year old allow yu to set the account up in a parents account but then send your policy off to credit lenders .. so the 17 year old end up payin hundreds more on there policy !!!!

my advice would be to wait till your 18 so you can legally have your own direct debit account and the payments you make will be direct to the insuraners not money grabbing sharks !!!

sorry for my rant but i was caught by a scam like this and now im in a rite pickle !!!

any comments welcome :) thankyou ..

You can set up direct debits on any bank account from the age of 11. The only difference is that they can't get a visa debit card until after 18 as they're unable to have an overdraft. As long as the money is in the account then there isnt a problem with direct debits.

Most insurance companies charge interest if you are paying by installments so that is why they are sent to credit companys. Anyone at any age should pay for their insurance in full if they can to save money.

the problem was that they sent my policy to a credit company without me knowing ... so i would have to pay an extra 500 onto my already sky high policy ... i think this is a complete rip off .. and once you have realise that they have trapped you its too late because youve already payed your deposit...

as for payin interest on your policy because you are payin monthly is also a rip off because my dad is with churchill and pays monthly but doesnt have to pay interest .. why should we ?? its not a loan :S

i just want to get the word out that insurancers are not trust worthy .. and take adbvantage on young and maybe confussed drivers!

i know .. i was told by them that the only way i could pay was through an adult (over 1 8 ) but never did they inform me that it would be sent to a credit company because im 17 :S

ive bin caught out by this before because i signed up with ponds forge gym and had a debit accont there aged 16 .. but when i cancelled i got letters saying that they was goin to send me to court .. but i got of scott free because they realised that i shouldnt have been allowed to have the debit aggreement until i was 18 :S

its all to confusing and thats why they get away with ripping people off like me :(

insurance is always a con.. dont worry, it only gets more fun at renewal time!.

Im still trying to understand your rant but insurance companies (not all, but most) always charge more when you pay monthly.

This is sometimes handled by a credit agency, I think flux did this with me, who pays your insurance and you pay them back over the installments.

I cant see how its an extra 500 though? :confused: and insurance is always high for young drivers..welcome to the world of driving!

cheers :D ... and i know it would have worked out at just under 500 pound if i would have carried on paying .... so ive just cancelled it and im going to wait for 2 months until i turn 18 :o .. going to drag :S

insurers are far to sterotypical of us young drivers ...all we need is a chance to prove that were road worthy .. if not the hit us with a massive policy :)

thanks for evryones comments .. i want to keep this going to make young drivers aware of the huge commitment they are jumping head first into :)

after ringing numerous insurers i was repeatedly told that i could not have a policy with them and pay monthly .. the only way i could have a policy with them was if i paid it all upfront .. :o like i have that money :S

so when i came across endsleigh they said i could do a direct debit out of my dads accont .. but they didnt mention credit lenders ..

scamming gets .. and they all stick up for each other and make out thats its the customers fault and laugh in your face with greed :@ !!!

Archived