MOT failed on Emmissions

Hi, My car Astra 1.6 8V Z16SE failed on all emissions and exhaust hole. I replaced the back box and middle section and my emissions are still high.

I had a diagnostics test done which found my temp senor dead which has now been replaced and the lambar sensor unplugged.

I have noticed a increase in fuel usage which they explained would have been from those sensors not working or plugged in because the engine thinks its always cold therefore using more fuel to warm it up or something.

Anyhow, the Lamba sensor appears to be a slice job, the previous owner obviously went for a new one but the plugs didnt fit so the cut the plug of the old one to attach to the new one. The gargage insist its fine and not a problem but i would like to replace it at some time.

Anyhow, they think the emissions are still high because my cat is dead. Therefore need a new Catalytic Convertor which ive had an estimate at another gargage for £290.

Any advice or garages in city centre that will fit one cheaper or if i sourced the part would fit it instead of their own?

Or does it really need replacing? They recon it does because i been driving with a rich fuel mixture which will have destroyed it as not all the fuel is being burnt.

The car didnt feel the same since after I had the timing belt changed and new spark plugs. Maybe a coincidence it broke after and cause high fuel usage.

I'm not sure from your description if you sorted the lambda sensor out? That would need doing first.

It doesn't necessarily follow that your cat is dead though, any decent place should be able to check emissions for not a lot of cash.

I'm not sure from your description if you sorted the lambda sensor out? That would need doing first.

It doesn't necessarily follow that your cat is dead though, any decent place should be able to check emissions for not a lot of cash.

Im thinking of getting a new lambda. Not got one yet. But the mechanic recons its ok anyway.

I can smell fumes in the cab now. I noticed that the clip holding attaching the air filter to the top of the engine is not very tight and is loose. THe clip wont tighten. I therefore asume alot of extra air could get in the engine. What would this do?

As far as I'm aware if you've disconnected the lambda sensor your ECU has no idea what your emissions are doing so it can't adjust the fuelling etc and could cause you to run rather rich to be on the safe side.

All is good, I took it to One Stop Motorist Centre to have the CAT replaced. Got a call next day saying they have not replaced the CAT, they replaced the Lamba sensor and the emissions are now fine. :)

Saved me alot of money and it passed the MOT yesterday :) Im happy now!!

Archived