Computers cause child obesity.

More commonly known as paranoia.

well said meaks. There are no more paedophiles, child abductors and murderers these days than when my mum was a child in the 50's and 60's and when I was a child in the 80's. It is just that it is more widely publicised by the media these days.

Reckon you are being a bit unfair on XT500 and other parents who worry about their children being out alone.

Is there an age when children should be pushed outside onto the streets to play?

There may not be more paedophiles about today than 30 years ago (which I seriously doubt as being factual but hey ho) - our awareness of them is greater and thus our concerns.

And when someone kicks their 5 year old out to play in the street and something happens to them - you same lot of people will no doubt be there condemning the parent for letting the child go out to play alone.

Could be computers, being 'not safe to play outside' or the host of made-up 'ailments' that are used to cover everything nowadays such as ADHD, OCD, dyslexia, bi-polar, asperbergers. Anything as long as it's not their fault.

Kids being fat wouldn't have anything to do with slob parents and a diet of Gregg's would it?

Could be computers, being 'not safe to play outside' or the host of made-up 'ailments' that are used to cover everything nowadays such as ADHD, OCD, dyslexia, bi-polar, asperbergers. Anything as long as it's not their fault.

Kids being fat wouldn't have anything to do with slob parents and a diet of Gregg's would it?

Yes of course it would. The slob parents say "Go upstairs now and play on your computer until it is time for your Big Mac":roll:

Which proves my point, there could have been paedophiles hanging round schools in the past but there wasnt the internet to use as a form of media to publicise it, im not saying that this is a bad thing, just that it does sometimes lead to people being paranoid.

No, bad parenting and paranoia cause childhood obesity.

Fearing paedophiles/traffic and the like is no excuse at all. If a parent genuinely had a mortal fear of something bad happening, they could take the children to the park, or the playground, or go swimming with them rather than keeping them indoors on the computer (I don't think computer games are bad in moderation anyway).

But of course that would require time and effort on the part of the parent, as would cooking proper family meals. It seems that is too hard for a lot of people.

Archived