Gods never care anyhow!

So why doesn't God protect people who have no choice but to live in the 40,000 square miles of the Bengal delta?

It baffles me that you as a man who has evident intelligence and education (in that he can string words together) can't see the flaws in his argument, and still maintains a faith in something that clearly doesn't exist. Or, if it/He does, is cruel beyond belief. Why would anyone want to believe in a God that permits disasters that wipe out so many innocent people?

Surely it's better to acknowledge that it's a natural disaster, and thus totally impersonal albeit tragic to those afflicted.

Why would you want to worship a God who perpetrates such attrocities?

They are natural disasters. It is mans fault for building in an earthquake zone.

I never pray like that. it almost seems to me as though I am telling God what to do, plus the fact I never ask God for anything. I praise and thank him for what he has done in my life and I ask that he will guide me in all that I do and say at work and at home, and that he will keep my family safe.

I'm puzzled Grahame. See my bold above.

If you never ask god for anything, why do you ask him to keep your family safe? That seems a contradiction to me.

I would also observe that you seem to be selective with your prayers in that you ask your god to keep your family safe, but you won't ask your god to keep other families safe, such as those who live in earthquake zones, near volcanoes or near the sea (which might swamp them).

Also I bring other people before the Lord in prayer that he will keep, guide and protect them.

If I were to pray along those lines it would be for people not to build cities on fault lines where earthquakes are known to occur and not to build villages at the foot of volcanoes or where they might be swamped by the sea.

Out of interest, if you were to pray to your god for people not to build cities on fault lines where earthquakes occur and not to build villlages at the foot of volcanos or where they may get swamped by the sea, how would your god communicate his response to your prayers to these people?

If you never ask god for anything, why do you ask him to keep your family safe? That seems a contradiction to me.

I would also observe that you seem to be selective with your prayers in that you ask your god to keep your family safe, but you won't ask your god to keep other families safe, such as those who live in earthquake zones, near volcanoes or near the sea (which might swamp them).

Out of interest, if you were to pray to your god for people not to build cities on fault lines where earthquakes occur and not to build villlages at the foot of volcanos or where they may get swamped by the sea, how would your god communicate his response to your prayers to these people?

Uh, perhaps he sends tidal waves, floods and earthquakes to dissuade them? :huh: But anyway, Grahame has retreated to bed, presumably to regroup for another day's fight!

I don't ask for material goods and we were given brains, but it seems we never learn.

I don't ask for material goods and we were given brains, but it seems we never learn.

But you ask your god to protect your family. Aren't the people who live in earthquake zones and similar entitled to pray for their own families protection?

You appear to be suggesting that your god tells them to use their brains and simply go and live somewhere else?

They are natural disasters. It is mans fault for building in an earthquake zone.

But humans have always settled around earthquake zones, volcanoes and river deltas, because that is where the best natural resources are to be found. You seem to think they should be more sensible or something. Living where the soil is most fertile isn't a sign of stupidity, which you seem to be implying. So why did your god make the most resource-rich areas the places that were most *naturally* dangerous?

But humans have always settled around earthquake zones, volcanoes and river deltas, because that is where the best natural resources are to be found. You seem to think they should be more sensible or something. Living where the soil is most fertile isn't a sign of stupidity, which you seem to be implying. So why did your god make the most resource-rich areas the places that were most *naturally* dangerous?

All you lot are doing is going on a God bashing spree when you don't believe in God. That seems hypocritical to me, but anyway I will play along. Someone mentioned the Bengal delta which is very fertile but equally it is prone to flooding. Fishing is the main source of food but equally good crops can be grown there. Why can't the crops can't be taken to higher ground seeing as it lies in the foothills of the Himalayas?

Archived