Nick Clegg won't support Labour in a hung parliament.

He said quite clearly and clarified any anbiguity when asked. He said that if Labour poled fewer votes he would not support the. He was asked about the leadership question. He said that was a matter for the other 2 parties. He said both Cameron and Brown would be in a difficult position if they failed to deliver the decisive mandate, but that was up to them to sort out. He wouldn't support Labour unless they polled higher than the Conservatives.

In your first post you said "Clegg ruled out going into coalition propping up Labour under such circumstances even if they won most seats."

So which is it ? :confused:

What he seems to be saying is that he will support whichever party gains the most votes even if the other party gains more seats.

Just trying to clarify :)

I think this is possibly less of a certain thing than is being suggested...

a) Nick Clegg ruled out working in a coalition with Labour with Gordon Brown remaining in Downing Street. That is if Labour come 3rd in votes. If either of those caveats are not borne out, the situation might be different.

- If Labour come 3rd, LibDems will come 2nd: so, is NC saying (in that situation) that any deal with Labour would only be possible if he were to actually become PM (as he has a greater personal mandate in the nation's eyes?). So in effect, we'd have Labour supporting the Libdems rather than vice versa.

b) Is NC saying he'll go into coalition with the Cons in the case of a hung parliament. I think this is a definite no. What is much more likely is that if the Cons become the largest party in votes and seats (without a majority), the Lib Dems would allow them to form a minority government. Both Labour and the Lib Dems would remain in opposition, with the Lib Dems voting on Tory legislation piece by piece. This is likely, and has the potential to bring the Tory government down as soon as they try and pass a piece of controversial legislation - at which point Lib Dems/Lab might form a government together (which commanded an overall majority).

- I would guess the minimum price in any of these situations would be electoral reform, which would in itself be enough to bring down a minority Con government if dodged.

- The Cons would never in a million years be able to pass their inheritance tax plans, big early spending cuts or marriage tax breaks in the minority government scenario.

-Many Lib Dems would perhaps not vote with the whip in regard of a Tory minority govt - making any administration even more fragile.

Conclusion. 1) Overall, I expect a Tory government but a weak and fragile one without any mandate for particularly conservative policies. 2) I expect that in any of the above situations the Lib Dems will become a strong and constant presence in British politics. 3) The Lib Dems will probably not go into formal coalition with Labour (though they might if Brown gave way to Clegg/other as PM). 4) The Lib Dems will definitely not go into formal coalition with the Tories (massive differences on many issues), though they might allow them to form a minority government (whose fate they would then control.)

Apologies for the essay...

Not sure which election it was but I was on about the % of electers who actulty voted for the winners out of the registered electorate. Think it was the re election of Blair.

The torys making out the sky is going to fall in unless they get a majority is a desparate tactic. I think the Libs will poll far fewer than the polls, but hopefully gain a much increased(fairer)number of seats.

The only time the UK has ever called for help from the IMF was during the last hung parliament (Lib-Lab) and our debt problems then where less severe than now.

Do you really think that a minority government will be able to pass bills if other parties have other ideas on how to tackle the problems? In effect our government will be paralysed with no direction and no way of dealing with our problems. This will in turn dent world wide confidence in our ability to pay back our debts (government bonds), decreasing our international credit rating meaning we pay back even more.

This is the view of Ken Clark who was in parliament at the time of the last coalition government and a spokesman for the conservative party at the time. Compare that with Brown and Clegg who were not even MP's at the time.

Believe who you want, the man who was there and lived through it, or the two who were not.

But don’t stop there. It’s not just the conservatives who see the prospect of a hung parliament as a possible problem. It is also leading UK economists who not only say a hung parliament is a bad idea but they also see the best prospect for the UK is a strong Tory government with Ken Clark as chancellor.

ref: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=502188&in_page_id=2

He is not from Sheffield.

Correct - Nick Clegg is not from Sheffield.

He represents Sheffield and he represents Sheffield very well.

Nick Clegg will be a great Prime Minister.

Vinny Cable will be a great Chancellor.

Correct - Nick Clegg is not from Sheffield.

He represents Sheffield and he represents Sheffield very well.

Nick Clegg will be a great Prime Minister.

Vinny Cable will be a great Chancellor.

What has he done for Sheffield? I'm keen to know as he is my MP and all I know of the guy is from the endless Lib Dem trash that keeps being pushed through my door.

What exactly has he done for Sheffield and what has Vince Cable done to prove his credentials as a possible chancellor?

...This is the view of Ken Clark who was in parliament

at the time of the last coalition government.

Believe who you want, the man who was there and lived

through it, or the two who were not.

That is the view of KENNETH CLARKE, the former Tory Chancellor who

has raked in more than £1 million from his role as an ambassador

for the international cigarette trade. As deputy chairman of British American Tobacco, Ken sells 855 billion cigarettes annually in 190 countries.

I would't pay any attention to what Killer Ken says.

...and I'm surprised that he has lived through it.

What has he done for Sheffield?

What has Vince Cable done to prove his credentials as a possible chancellor?

Nick has saved Sheffield from Labour and Tory abuse.

Vinny has proved his credentials in all his interviews.

What has he done for Sheffield? I'm keen to know as he is my MP and all I know of the guy is from the endless Lib Dem trash that keeps being pushed through my door.

What exactly has he done for Sheffield and what has Vince Cable done to prove his credentials as a possible chancellor?

what have any of the other leaders done for sheffield?

what credentials do any of the other potential or past chancellors have?

Speaking to Andrew Marr on the BBC this morning Nick Clegg was asked if he would support Gordon Brown in a hung parliament if Labour polled 3rd in terms of votes.

Clegg ruled out going into coalition propping up Labour under such circumstances even if they won most seats.

Well that gets my vote.

Vote Lib/Dem and get the unelected & unelectable Brown out of Downing Street.

A couple of queries I'd have on this.

Does Nick Clegg have the power within his parties constitution to do this, surely he has to go either to his MP's or party members for decisions like this. Does anyone know the answer to this on here as I understand that far more of the members favour a coalition with Labour.

The second is I posted the following on a similar thread and I just can't see how he can possibly work with the Tories when their policies are so different.

Libs want to get rid of Trident, Tories want to strengthen it

Libs want to reduce taxes for the poor, Tories for the rich

Libs want to be a part of Europe, Tories would prefer to be out of it

Libs want to Tax the rich property owners, Tories want to give them more tax back

Libs want to be soft on crime, Tories tough

Libs want to be soft on Immigration, Tories tough on it

Libs want to keep public services, Tories want to slash them

Libs didn’t want to support Iraq, Tories did

Libs want to invest in Education, Tories cut spending

Archived