Nick Clegg won't support Labour in a hung parliament.

Was Churchill not a Liberal that switched to the Conservatives many years ago? I suppose things have changed a lot since then.

the conservative party adopted a rightward, free market, stuff the poor approach in the 80's before that they had a much more socially cohesive approach

Speaking to Andrew Marr on the BBC this morning Nick Clegg was asked if he would support Gordon Brown in a hung parliament if Labour polled 3rd in terms of votes.

Clegg ruled out going into coalition propping up Labour under such circumstances even if they won most seats.

Well that gets my vote.

Vote Lib/Dem and get the unelected & unelectable Brown out of Downing Street.

Reading between the lines, Clegg's saying he won't back a Brown Government, but that doesn't rule out him supporting a Government led by, say, Alan Johnson. If Cleggy wants PR, his only chance is getting it through a Lib-Lab Government. The Tories will never support voting reform.

Why, He is not from Sheffield and doesn’t even live here most of the time. He comes from Buckinghamshire, was educated in London and Cambridge.

He was only elected in 2005 and was parachuted into the seat. His connection to Sheffield tenuous at best.

As was Cameron. Between them they have only 10 years parliamentary experience.

Come on, you can’t respond to a question by just turning it around and asking it back.

unregistered said Clegg "represents Sheffield very well" .. I want to know how and what has he done to represent Sheffield so well?

He keeps his garden very tidy, apparently.

Unregistered as I stated in the other thread, you obviously don't understand the current electoral system.

It's not the number of votes that the Lib Dems get, it's the number of seats they win.

Whilst the Lib Dems may well improve on the number of seats they got last time which numbered 62, they will still be well short of seats to challenge either the Conservatives or Labour for number of seats.

The Lib Dems will still be 3rd behind Labour and the Conservatives on the moring of May 7.

You seem to misunderstand the meaning of a coalition government.

Any number of parties can agree to work together, and if they have a combined working majority can agree policy. They can also agree who is going to be leader, and if necessary alternate between leaders.

So you could have a coalition made up of several parties and have party leaders taking it in turns at no10.

Heaven forbid, you could even get a coalition between Brown & Cameron that cut out the Lib/Dems completely.

Reading between the lines, Clegg's saying he won't back a Brown Government, but that doesn't rule out him supporting a Government led by, say, Alan Johnson. If Cleggy wants PR, his only chance is getting it through a Lib-Lab Government. The Tories will never support voting reform.

Reading between the lines I think Clegg is saying he will not support Brown and if Labour come third it would be for Labour to support him (Clegg) as PM.

Archived