Foreign office disses the Pope

Those statistics are nonsense. most people in this country are Atheists or Agnostics. Of those that are christian, catholics make up the minority. Besides. I come from generations of catholics and was educated in catholic schools, so I feel more qualified than most people to say I don't want him here, and although he entitled to come, he certainly doesn't deserve a respectful official reception, and he certainly isn't entitled to the same type of reception which democratically elected foreign leaders get.

Democratically elected leaders like Hu Jintau?

There's now rumours about the possibility that his popiness is going to cancel his visit to the UK because of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/vaticancityandholysee/7632259/Pope-could-cancel-UK-visit-over-offensive-Foreign-Office-memo.html

If true I reckon he must have realised how uncomfortable his visit was going to be, and was looking for any excuse.

From this story I get the sense of increasing panic among the tories. Bum face Cameron has totally blown it and the right-wing media are getting more and more shrill.

The Foreign Office said the memo had resulted from discussions by a group of three or four junior staff in a team working on early planning for the papal visit.

A source told the BBC News website the individual since moved to other duties had called the group together for

"some blue-skies creative thinking about how to make the visit a success",

but their discussions had become "a joke that has gone too far".

The source added that others in the group had been spoken to about the incident, but had not faced any formal action.

This is something that came out of the FO, so what has it to do with the Tories, sounds like you're the one clutching at straws especially with the bum face comment, didn't realise the election was now a beauty contest.

Democratically elected leaders like Hu Jintau?

The point was that the pope is not - as Serapis asserts - a democratically elected leader, so in that respect, he is indeed comparable to Hu Jintau, although I don't remember Hu Jintau visiting the UK ever.

The point was that the pope is not - as Serapis asserts - a democratically elected leader, so in that respect, he is indeed comparable to Hu Jintau, although I don't remember Hu Jintau visiting the UK ever.

2005. I was just pointing out we do host state visits for other unelected leaders.

Archived