Tax question

Ive been on emergancy tax now for 8 months (apparently due to a cockup by the jobcentre) and ive recently got my new tax code. Does this mean that ill be getting my overpaid tax back in my next wage slip or do i have to do somthing to get it?

The letter from the taxman is dated 28th march.

How would i got about claiming it back and does it take long for the payment to be made?

Should be a nice little amount as ive been paying tax on the whole of my wage for the last 8 months.

it should be refunded automatically either by your current tax code being adjusted which means you will get a few pounds extra in your pay packet every month/week or by a cheque.

if the refund is less than a couple of grand, HMRC tend to fiddle with the tax code

the notice of coding should explain how your new code was determined which should indicate whether or not the refund is being made through your wages

if you are concerned then you should contact the tax office which deals with your paye contributions, your HR dept should be able to tell you which office to contact.

Archived