How good is Sheffield for eating out, really?

chinaski

As a foodie I tend to blow hot and cold regarding eating out in ere these parts. I eat out most weeks, and tend to stick with the Indian/ Oriental places.

When I'm in other cities, there's plenty of places, maybe French or Italian, or even British influenced, that I could visit, but I find Sheffield horribly lacking.

However, I don't think this is purely a problem with the restaurants. I think it's a problem with the people of Sheffield too.

There's a new wave of British cooking, influenced by the likes of Mark Hix and Fergus Henderson that is doing very well in London and surrounding areas. What's the problem with Sheffield? Are we just too tight with our purses/ wallets? What do the restauranters think?

Are people simply not ready to part with their cash for good British cooking, like at Kitchen, or is it something else?

I mean, even the sushi places up here are crap compared to other cities.

What's happening?

I'm not a massive foodie, and i prefer to cook with friends rather than eat out, but in my opinion there are too many chain restaurants in Sheffield, especially in the city centre, but there are good restaurants, you just have to hunt them out, La Scala and Christians in Millhouses for example.....

There are loads of fantastic restaurants in Sheffield - just look on the forum for recommendations. If you want French then try Chez Lahlou on the main road up to Walkley, or for good Italian food then I'd recommend either Piccolo's on West Street, La Scala in Millhouses or Vito's in Walkley. I'd also recommend Rowsha in Walkley or Shiraz on Abbeydale Road for Middle Eastern food, if you like that sort of thing.

As a foodie I tend to blow hot and cold regarding eating out in ere these parts. I eat out most weeks, and tend to stick with the Indian/ Oriental places.

When I'm in other cities, there's plenty of places, maybe French or Italian, or even British influenced, that I could visit, but I find Sheffield horribly lacking.

However, I don't think this is purely a problem with the restaurants. I think it's a problem with the people of Sheffield too.

There's a new wave of British cooking, influenced by the likes of Mark Hix and Fergus Henderson that is doing very well in London and surrounding areas. What's the problem with Sheffield? Are we just too tight with our purses/ wallets? What do the restauranters think?

Are people simply not ready to part with their cash for good British cooking, like at Kitchen, or is it something else?

I mean, even the sushi places up here are crap compared to other cities.

What's happening?[/quote

You cant compare Sheffield with London and surrounding areas. For one there is a lot more money and footfall around London - therefore more variety and competition.

I love Sheffield and I have lived here all my life and I will always stick up for it, however if I fancy a real foodie treat then we are limited here. London is the best place for the widest choice of restaurants and the best food. Places like The Capital, Amaya and Benares etc are great but I like them as a treat and wouldn't want to go (and couldn't afford to go) on a regular basis.

I'm not a massive foodie, and i prefer to cook with friends rather than eat out, but in my opinion there are too many chain restaurants in Sheffield, especially in the city centre, but there are good restaurants, you just have to hunt them out, La Scala and Christians in Millhouses for example.....

I agree - the city centre is overrun by chain restaurants. I can only assume that the rents are too high for smaller businesses to contemplate opening up in town.

There are, what people would call 'good' restaurants, not all of which I would agree with, but I think that these are generally considered to offer the 'best' in Sheffield;

Moran's, Milestone, Marco at Milano, Rafters & Artisan.

Hopefully the London Club will make it into that list and other popular restaurants such as Platillos and Wasabisabi, whilst I think are very good, are probably not considered to be in the same league by some people.

Interestingly the Good Food Guide 2010 only lists Artisan, Cricket Inn, Greenhead House (Chapletown) and Moran's, with the highest scoring being Moran's with 4/10. They too class The Old Vicarage as being in Derbyshire.

Take a look at Leeds and there are 8 restaurants listed, 6 of which are in town, with the highest scoring restaurant having a score of 7/10 and listed as number 25 of all restaurants in the UK (note that Fischer's is listed as number 24).

Ok - this is only another guide and shouldn't be taken as gospel but it is based on nominations made by readers so it does try to give a fair reflection of the restaurants.

Admittedly, Leeds is very different to Sheffield. Good God, this place is still very town like, whereas Leeds is a bit more daring, but that is no excuse to not strive for something more. Like Chinaski suggests, is it the people of Sheffield who are holding us back?

Admittedly, Leeds is very different to Sheffield. Good God, this place is still very town like, whereas Leeds is a bit more daring, but that is no excuse to not strive for something more. Like Chinaski suggests, is it the people of Sheffield who are holding us back?

As long as it comes with a crust, a bottle of Hendersons and costs less than a fiver. :)

I'd rather invite friends round every weekend for a wonderful meal than roam round expensive restaurants

It costs them nothing

they can stay as long as they like - and don't have to book a table

they can either stay or drive home the next morning.

Oh - and the service is good too

I've been out to too many over priced 'plastic meals' to waste money every week. Going out tends to be a monthly treat these days.

Archived