How good is Sheffield for eating out, really?

chinaski

I think their are several factors at work. First, in the middle of a recession and as a city with an industrial heritage, Sheffield doesn't have the cash flow of other large cities to support an overflowing restaurant scene. I think in particular this effects modern British food - high quality ingredients, especially those free-range or organic don't come cheap. Any many foodies (myself included) tend not eat out in places that serve dishes they can make themselves. I'm italian and my partner is british, and we can make fresh pasta or a roast at home, so we tend to eat out at ethnic restaurants. But I think those places are Sheffield's strong point - wasabisabi; east & west; uk mama; lokanta; the greedy greek and tons of great indian. There's quite a bit out of good food out there, if you're willing to sacrifice the traditional restaurant atmosphere and experience.

I think their are several factors at work. First, in the middle of a recession and as a city with an industrial heritage, Sheffield doesn't have the cash flow of other large cities to support an overflowing restaurant scene. I think in particular this effects modern British food - high quality ingredients, especially those free-range or organic don't come cheap. Any many foodies (myself included) tend not eat out in places that serve dishes they can make themselves. I'm italian and my partner is british, and we can make fresh pasta or a roast at home, so we tend to eat out at ethnic restaurants. But I think those places are Sheffield's strong point - wasabisabi; east & west; uk mama; lokanta; the greedy greek and tons of great indian. There's quite a bit out of good food out there, if you're willing to sacrifice the traditional restaurant atmosphere and experience.

I think that's very true. We were meant to be eating out at The London Club last week and I just didn't have the enthusiasm (or money!) to spend £100 for a steak and sauce I know I could most likely cook just as well at home.

So you spend £30 having a great meal at East and West or, as you say, many of the other ethnic places around.

I'm going to The London Club this Saturday instead, so it'll be interesting to see whether it's worth the money. The Milestone sounds like it's certainly worth a visit too.

I'm going to The London Club this Saturday instead, so it'll be interesting to see whether it's worth the money. The Milestone sounds like it's certainly worth a visit too.

Milestone is worth a try. Let us know how the London Club is. I too want to go, but I am often disappointed with my steak (like you I can do better at home) and it is expensive, so I do want to hear some positive reviews before committing myself to it!

We've virtually given up eating out. I adore cooking and enjoy trying out new recipes. Every now and then I yearn for a beautiful restaurant with swift and attentive service and delicious, freshly cooked food. We go out and I'm disappointed yet again.

Our last experience was at Losehill House Hotel where they brought me a pale cream sherry when I asked for dry and, when I complained, told me that that's all they had. The table service was superb, but the food, which should have been just as superb, was salted so much that I couldn't eat it.

I've mentioned the Milestone elsewhere - but the main course here was a battle to order, as the fish had been already prepped and wrapped in meat, which I don't eat. The meal came with vegetables already on it and the lot drenched in butter.

I want good, fresh food not cooked in salt, vegetables delivered to the table in serving dishes so I can help myself to as much or as little as I want and a space where my friends and I can chat without shouting.

Until Sheffield can offer that, we'll eat at home.

Archived