Can anyone recommend a hover mower ??

I need a new mower as my old one has just given up. I have tried Flymo 350

for the last two times but they only seem to last a couple of seasons.I prefer a hover with a 350mm metal cutting blade (I dont think those plastic blades are much use).I was hoping someone may be able to recommend one to me other than Flymo.Thanks in advance.

I've never had any trouble from the motors of my hover-mowers. Bosch or Qualcast are perhaps better. Is weight a factor? If you go for the large wheel-less type (with grass box) then it will be awkward to carry to wherever you store it. The wheeled type have the advantage of easier transporting (when off the hover) and some have quick-action height adjustment which the wheel-less type don't have. On the other hand, a small, basic, wheel-less hover is easier to clean.

Most DIY stores offer Replacement Cover policies which extend the guarantee to 3 years which will cover any fault.

They all work reasonably well, whatever the make. The budget brands seem to have cheaper frame parts, also look at the cost of replacement blades for your chosen model. Usually, the more powerful the motor, the better they should hover (but could be heavier). I would think Bosch are a good make, but if you buy from say Homebase or B&Q you will have 28 days to test it and take it back if you don't like it. You must keep the blade razor sharp, it will then cut effortlessly and perhaps save the motor, I file an edge on them down towards the centre.

I had a Black and Decker 1000w mower for 15 years and hammered it unmercifully, I eventually scrapped it as it wouldn't hover well although the motor seemed ok. I use a petrol mower now, but the hover ones are quick and handy.

Archived