60's Pirate radio stations which did you like

desy

Although we were restricted on the odd occasion I heard Radio Caroline and enjoyed that. also found that the dj's when they went to the beeb were harnessed at what they said and did. Never impressed with North Sea International.

Oh dear.

Was going to extoll the virtues of RNI to you.

That's where I got the nickname (and CB Handle) Mebo from.

It came from the name of the Ship.

I listened to it all the time and it gave an absolute magical signal if you went to the East coast. Got a picture of the Mebo 2 as my computer wallpaper.

Did you like "All Europe Radio Laser 558"

Great when the mast was up (it kept falling down). When it closed an Irish land-based station Atlantic 252 suddenly appeared with Charley Wolfe and co from Laser. Great station but had a crap signal into London apparently so couldn't survive on the poor advertising revenue and eventually went bust. Shame really.

Listen out for a new land-based station due on shortly. Working title for this is Music Mann 279 (279khz Long Wave).

Based in the Isle of Man, its transmitter is being sited off-shore in Ramsey Bay. Remember Ramsey Bay ? Home of Radio Caroline North. MM's aerial will be positioned almost exactly where Caroline was anchored. It's power is due to be 500Kw, so will boom in all over UK and into parts of Europe. Promises to be interesting.

What was that lovely instrumental music called they played on North Sea? I love that. I used to listen to North Sea when we went on holidayto Yarmouth, although my main love was Radio Luxemburg...happy days with the tranny under me pillow :)

If you mean the Station ID, it was Man Of Action by the Les Reed Orchestra. Was available on a 45 and can be downloaded by logging on to the various nostalgia sites. Just type RNI into a search engine.

PS I thought the saying was "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure"

• 1 year later...
Radio 270 anchored off Scarborough was the strongest

signal in the Sheffield Area in the Mid Sixties.

Good Music and good DJ's

I totally agree with you on that one. I went on a boat trip from Bridlington to Radio 270. We circled it and some of the DJ's came on deck and acknowledged us.

• 1 year later...

The Music Mann project went t**s up before getting on air.

Radio Caroline celebrated 44 years of broadcasting on Easter Sunday.

Now an Internet station, it's also available on SKY 0199

I listen to it on weekday mornings as they don't have DJs on until 7.00 am

I put it on around 6.15 until about 6.55

It's great to here music and not the inane rattlings of Daryl Denim. Now there is a man who likes the sound of his own voice.

Archived