Seat recliners on planes, now (some) airlines take action !

If they do that without any justification I suspect that you could get some compensation, particularly, if like the BA website, it tells you about the reclining seats being part of the service.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 11:14 ----------

You didn't purchase a seat that comes with "space for a laptop", you purchased a seat with a table and a reclining facility, just like the person in front of you.

You can use your laptop, if you have space, otherwise you can't. They can recline their seat, because they can.

This is one of life's greatest dilemmas. Who has the greatest right? The guy who wants to party to 4am or the neighbours who want peace and quiet? Similar problem.

They have more right. The space kidley would like to stick his laptop in has been paid for by someone else.

jb

How do you come to that.

Please read

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/06/17/british-airways-new-short-haul-seats/

Seat recline restricted to make it easier for customer behind to use laptops – Club Europe from 4.5 inches to 3 inches and Eurotraveller from 4.5 inches to 2 inches

What's your point? The seat recline has been changed on those seats, they don't "ask" people not to, they still get to use the recline facility they've paid for.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 11:39 ----------

This is one of life's greatest dilemmas. Who has the greatest right? The guy who wants to party to 4am or the neighbours who want peace and quiet? Similar problem.

It's not a similar at all.

In the case of two parties with conflicting rights, ie peace and quiet and partying, then there needs to be a way of deciding which right has precedence.

On a flight with reclining seats there is only one right, the right to recline. The passenger behind has no right to that space.

How do you come to that.

Please read

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/06/17/british-airways-new-short-haul-seats/

Seat recline restricted to make it easier for customer behind to use laptops – Club Europe from 4.5 inches to 3 inches and Eurotraveller from 4.5 inches to 2 inches

And BA have made a decision to still offer passengers recline but also give the passenger behind a little more space to work.

They could have fited non reclining seats during this current cabin refurbishment but they haven't. I wonder why.

What if after the passenger has reclined you don't have enough space to work in.

Edited by WageSlave

did you see the word laptop mentioned ? did you miss the point?

I think you missed the point, the seats still recline and the occupants of said seats are still permitted to recline. They have simply redesigned the seast so that laptops can be used more easily when the seat in front is reclined.

jb

And BA have made a decision to still offer passengers recline but also give the passenger behind a little more space to work.

What if after the passenger has reclined you don't have enough space to work in.

Two inch is neither here or there, they [bA] have virtually taken your recline away like all the other right thinking [short haul] airways

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 11:51 ----------

They have more right. The space kidley would like to stick his laptop in has been paid for by someone else.

jb

I think you are contradicting yourself a bit arnt you. the probability is that because of some people on this thread who think there is only them that have rights in the air.

Two inch is neither here or there, they [bA] have virtually taken your recline away like all the other right thinking [short haul] airways

Then why not just take it away completely. They haven't, they still offer recline. A small amount is better than non.

You've paid to recline your seat into that space. You can't hang a coat at the same angle a chair reclines, they hang vertically, that's how gravity works.

And the reason they don't ask is that it gives you the power to say no, a power you don't hold.

I never said coat, I said hat. One with a peak, I'd put it on backwards, with the peak facing you. Don't worry though, I'd remove it before I reclined!

did you see the word laptop mentioned ? did you miss the point?

No, I think you've missed the point.

In this case they've redesigned the seat, in other cases they haven't. In no case do they ever guarantee you "laptop space", and particularly not in the case where the seats have not been redesigned.

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 12:01 ----------

I think you are contradicting yourself a bit arnt you. the probability is that because of some people on this thread who think there is only them that have rights in the air.

Clearly not. The passenger sat in front of us always has the right to recline. We aren't so selfish that we try to stop passengers using a service they've paid for!

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 12:02 ----------

I never said coat, I said hat. One with a peak, I'd put it on backwards, with the peak facing you. Don't worry though, I'd remove it before I reclined!

Hats hang vertically just like everything else. Seat backs are not vertical.