Oops landed back in hospital

Sycamore, I hope you get sorted out soon.

Have the docs suggested a pacemaker for your arrhythmia? I was terrified at having the operation, but it wasn't quite as bad as I had feared, and the staff on the ward I was on were fantastic.

Looking back I can see I was in need of this op for some time, as I'd been passing out so much.

thanks PT, theres no talk of a pacemaker at the moment, it seems like they are staying with the medication for now. to be honest i have been worried about having the op but it has helped me a lot and eased some of my fears after reading your story, thanks.

thanks PT, theres no talk of a pacemaker at the moment, it seems like they are staying with the medication for now. to be honest i have been worried about having the op but it has helped me a lot and eased some of my fears after reading your story, thanks.

I have had an irregular heartbeat for about eight years. It was easily treatable with beta blockers to begin with but gradually got worse. I had a Cardio version in Feb 08 which put me back into sinus rhythm for 15 days and another in May 08 that put me in sinus rhythm for just over three months.

Following a change of drugs (less Atenolol and more Flecainide) I am mostly in sinus rhythm now. About once a month I drop out of sinus and then take lots of Flecainide which usually puts me back into sinus inside half a day.

While arrhythmia can be frightening, especially at first, it has been for me quite easily dealt with and has not been allowed to significantly change my life. I continue to play sport and only occasionally feel a bit dizzy, I have been quite lucky that I do not pass out.

Joat, so do I understand from your comments that you have a tachycardia? (a speeding up of your heartbeat)

I had a bradycardia, which was a too-slow, and not regular enough heartbeat, which was very scary, as I was passing out, due to not enough blood reaching my brain.

All the best to you for getting it sorted out, and managed well.

Joat, so do I understand from your comments that you have a tachycardia? (a speeding up of your heartbeat)

I had a bradycardia, which was a too-slow, and not regular enough heartbeat, which was very scary, as I was passing out, due to not enough blood reaching my brain.

All the best to you for getting it sorted out, and managed well.

Pleased to hear your clinc appt went ok - keep well x

Yes, very fast heartbeat (170+ at the wrist, more in the chest but some so weak they did not echo at the wrist) but also irregular rhythm and strength. Lots of small fast beats = not enough blood to the brain, dizzy then fall down, head now lower than heart correcting blood flow, fairly fast recovery. I only actually collapsed the first time but often got very dizzy.

Glad you mended properly, I manage very well but still get an off half day about once a month on average.

Archived