Oops landed back in hospital

I'm not long back from visiting PT. They whisked her off to theatre unexpectedly this afternoon and the pacemaker has been fitted. :clap:

As far as she knows, everything went well. She had the op under local anaesthetic, but they'd pumped her full of diamorphine, so she was distinctly woozy and quiet.

(snip)

Quiet? Me? Yes, that must have been the "diamorph" hehe. Woozy? Definitely. I really did not like the Diamorph, I found it unpleasant. It knocked me out for hours.

There's a minor, minor problem, that the X-rays showed one of the wires isn't exactly 100% where it's meant to be, but the tests the technicians did on the pacemaker show that it is doing its job, nonetheless, and firing up as it's meant to do. (thank God!) So I don't need to have it repositioned. (Massive relief!)

The techie chap used a fascinating machine that is able to interrogate my pacemaker, and find out how accurate it's being.

It can even have the pacemaker tell the machine how many beats my heart has made, and how many of those beats were from my own rhythm, and how many of them had to be triggered by the pacemaker. Isn't medicine fascinating??? :wow:

Update

Well, I'm about 10 days in, from the op, and the swelling and bruising is now subsiding, and I'm able to sleep better, and certainly sleep without as much discomfort.

I'm not allowed to lug/lift with the arm on the side I was operated on, and I am also not allowed to do any stretching with that arm, for about six weeks.

The incision site is itching like mad, as the cut is healing... which I'm finding very irritating.

I'm still feeling a bit shell-shocked, but I am feeling a bit of a difference since the pacemaker was fitted.

I don't feel as sluggish, I feel more mentally alert, and I don't feel like I'm constantly on the verge of passing out, now, which is amazing.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE, 4th September 2010

It's now four months since the surgery. (well, eighteen weeks!)

The healing is going well, and the scar is now changing from red to a more silvery colour.

I was at the Northern General, on Wednesday, for a routine follow up, and they are pleased with how it's going. They tested the pacemaker, and were happy that it's working precisely as it's meant to.

It's amazing how this little box, not much bigger than a man's pocket/ wristwatch is doing so much, and keeping me alive.

I popped my head round the door of the ward I had been in, and gave my heartfelt thanks to the staff there, and told them how much better I was feeling.

I'm so grateful to the NGH, and the brilliant staff there.

PT, I don't come on here regularly enough to have seen what you have been through. However, I am so glad to hear your good news.

When you feel up to joining any SF social events, I will be more than pleased to offer you the facilities of my (only slightly dog-mudded) car to transport you to and fro.

Stagey might do another meal meet if we ask him nicely :)

Just to let folk know, I landed myself back in hospital over the weekend.

I have arrythmia, (my heart keeps missing beats) and it's causing me to collapse.

Depending on the outcome of some tests, it's likely I will be taken for surgery in the next couple of days, and given a pacemaker to give my heart a "kick" when it forgets to beat.

HUGE thanks to ambulance staff, A&E staff, and the nurses on the CCU/HDU section, for their care.

Glad you are Ok & that you managed to get an ambulance that wasn't distracted elsewhere to the time wasters! Get well soon!

hi PT, im glad to here that alls well. I have just had my medication increased because my irregular heartbeat has been getting more irregular and faster over the past couple of months. never a dull moment. keep up the good work PT.

Sycamore, I hope you get sorted out soon.

Have the docs suggested a pacemaker for your arrhythmia? I was terrified at having the operation, but it wasn't quite as bad as I had feared, and the staff on the ward I was on were fantastic.

Looking back I can see I was in need of this op for some time, as I'd been passing out so much.

UPDATE, 4th September 2010

It's now four months since the surgery. (well, eighteen weeks!)

The healing is going well, and the scar is now changing from red to a more silvery colour.

I was at the Northern General, on Wednesday, for a routine follow up, and they are pleased with how it's going. They tested the pacemaker, and were happy that it's working precisely as it's meant to.

It's amazing how this little box, not much bigger than a man's pocket/ wristwatch is doing so much, and keeping me alive.

I popped my head round the door of the ward I had been in, and gave my heartfelt thanks to the staff there, and told them how much better I was feeling.

I'm so grateful to the NGH, and the brilliant staff there.

That's great news PT :thumbsup:

Archived