The Nelson pub at the top of the Moor

carper

Looks like there's a lot of us 70s/80s ex rockers still living and breathing then! I'm willing to bet if we all put our real names down here a lot of us would know each other!?

What do you guys reckon, should we disclose who we are...

NO

the mods will have yer :P

erm i DO mean mods not moderators

It was on a street called Charles Street, which I suppose, doesn't exist anymore.

It's still there according to google maps, but doesn't go up to Union St like it used to, it was surprising how many small cutlery buffing shops were around that area in the 60's, I was involved with moving the buffing machines etc out of them when BJ Sipple's bought them out, they were terraced houses that had internal doors connecting them, so they looked like ordinary houses from the outside.

Those were the days when Sheffield had character and everyone could get a job if they wanted to work, many people walked home in the early hours of the morning after a good night out and missing the last bus, and didn't have to worry about getting mugged etc on the way home.

Like Crookesy said, I think we teenagers in the 60's had the best life and music that any generation before or after us have ever had.

It was on a street called Charles Street, which I suppose, doesn't exist anymore. It was toward the top, the mid town end. The street back then consisted of terraced houses as far as I remember. Looked a bit odd being so close to town. There was another pub a bit farther down, If you blinked you'd a missed it, like the front room of a house, small, with a little bar, Stones's, can't remember the name though.

It had a big air hockey table in didn't it ?

It was a great pub in the early 60's, there was always a band on upstairs at the weekends, they were university students from memory, and they knew all the songs of the day, and were quite good.

Round the corner at the Minerva was alright too, but a lot of people didn't like going in there as the lighting was turned very low and it was quite dark, that too had bands on at weekends, funny to see 5 blokes jammed together on a little stage in the corner of the room, but they were happy days, when Sheffield was full of music.

remember all you said trev dave b

Wasn't it Hendrix, Plant and Page? And was there one of Joe Cocker or is my memory playin tricks?

It was Frank Zappa in the Buccaneer. Saw Hendrix in 1967 when I was 16 at City Hall and Zappa the following year in Manchester - great days:D

Looks like there's a lot of us 70s/80s ex rockers still living and breathing then! I'm willing to bet if we all put our real names down here a lot of us would know each other!?

What do you guys reckon, should we disclose who we are...

Good point Carper ...i went in the Rock Pubs from 1970 ....still ride a bike , still go to gigs and still got the hair :hihi: (almost 58 now ) i knew lots of folk in those days ..often wondered where they've all got to ...:(

sweet child in time,yours is no disgrace,great times.

WOW ! those songs just struck a chord .

Remember Strobe lighting close to bar , everyone trying to brush the dandruff off their brushed denim jackets .

Edited by Darnex

• 7 years later...

Remembering the Nelson Pub, which I think was across the road from the old Redgates store. Can anyone remember the landlord of fairly recent times who was obsessed with plastic surgery? I seem to think he held a record for having most done or something like that!!!! I have a vague recollection that Cindy Jackson the woman who had most plastic surgery in the UK came to meet him?

Edited by GOLDEN OLDIE