MySpace and Facebook only for 'Young People'?

It was put to me last year, that social networking sites are not for ..ummm...mature people, but just for the youngsters. "It's sort of not 'politically correct' to use these sort of sites to chat to friends at 'our age' ". I have to admit I felt so stupid for even using them after that. What do you think?

I think you've got it completely wrong. I think most of my friends are on it ranging from early 20s to their 50s and beyond!

As with anything it's what you make of it. I don't use Twitter yet lots of people think it's great whereas facebook it's great for keeping in touch with friends I very rarely see day to day.

I'm on facebook and with my friends and family being pretty spread out these days, find it great to to see what everyone else that's on it is up to :hihi: and I'm 68........................

I've recently started to use facebook again - I didn't say I agreed with the person who said that to me. I like keeping in touch with people who disappeared from my life years ago and I also have a few friends in the States. Its also handy for showing your offspring that you're still alive when they've left home. I was just seeing what other people thought and I'm pleased to see I''m not alone! The person who said it to me was actually an older person. Must have had a 'thing' about social networking sites or something. Anyway, they were wrong. Thanks for the replies.

I'm on facebook and with my friends and family being pretty spread out these days, find it great to to see what everyone else that's on it is up to :hihi: and I'm 68........................

Its keeping you young, Joan!;)

I've recently started to use facebook again - I didn't say I agreed with the person who said that to me. I like keeping in touch with people who disappeared from my life years ago and I also have a few friends in the States. Its also handy for showing your offspring that you're still alive when they've left home. I was just seeing what other people thought and I'm pleased to see I''m not alone! The person who said it to me was actually an older person. Must have had a 'thing' about social networking sites or something. Anyway, they were wrong. Thanks for the replies.

You shouldn't worry about what other people think, anyway! Even if you were the only person on Facebook who was over 21, it wouldn't matter a hoot.

Facebook is really handy for chatting and frivolity and silliness and for arranging things, because you can PM lots of different people at the same time!

I'm 58 and will continue to use FB for as long as I want to.

Well, unfortunately older people are on there, my mother, father, aunts, uncles, all around 50 years old.

The problem is, they're not really...Internet savvy, they'll use language and such likes in the wrong context and take things the wrong way as they're not familiar with how things work.

Maybe they should make a sister site or something, like Facebook Gold, or something, for people of a certain age.

Archived