Who are the best double act?

John

Originally posted by MTheo

come on!!! be serious

ermm

the chuckle brothers :D

The Chuckle Brothers?! WTF?! They're from bloody ROTHERHAM for a start never mind the fact that they're not even funny.. :lol:

No offense intended to Rotherhamites (is that the word?) who post on here.

its got to be acts such as laurel and hardy,abbot & costello,tony hancock & syd james (although they weren't really a double act in the true sense of the word)and of the more modern era only morecambe & wise stand out,they were great,as for the new breed of double acts---dreadful and very unfunny!!:gag: oh sorry forgot the chuckle bros--and i'm not kidding either i think they're ace--keep going paul & barry!!:)

IMO no-one can top Morecombe & Wise, but I used to like Peter Cook & Dudley Moore as a double-act....and, although they weren't a double-act, The Goons were brilliant. I don't think there's really any present-day acts that can match those.

:thumbsup:

I agree with Lord Chaverly here; Laurel and Hardy are the finest double act ever. How nice to see that they are still very popular, judging by sales of dvds. Additionally, it is heartwarming to hear an ultra fashionable comedian and writer like Ricky Gervais cite them as his biggest influence and favourites. If you are ever feeling down, watch 'Blotto', 'Chickens come home' or 'Pardon Us'. You won't be miserable for long.

Runners up have to be Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. The philistines who destroyed tapes of the bulk of their BBC shows should be hung for treason, or at the very least sent to a British version of the Gulag. I love their three 'Derek and Clive' records, which oddly [given their obscene content] remind me of my late father. I have fond memories of how he and I laughed like drains at 'Cancer', 'Alfie Noakes', 'Worse job you ever had' etc. Both Cook and Moore died much too young. Cook, in particular, changed the face of English satire. Perhaps he is the most important English satirist since Swift, with Evelyn Waugh,and his son Auberon just behind him?

Thirdly, I would place Reeves and Mortimer. They have been called a 'postmodern Morecambe and Wise'. I disagree.They are a Dadaist version of music hall, especially in their early 'Big Night Out' incarnation. They don't do cruelty, leaving that to League of Gentlemen [a sort of forensic Monty Python, if we are making comparisons]. Reeves and Mortimer are actually quite old-fashioned in style, influenced by Les Dawson as much as by 'cerebral' material like Milligan and Python. They are very 'Northern' too, and accessible to a wide age group. At their best, they go beyond Milligan, Python and other absurdists into a unique northern English Dadaist world where people are advised to paint 'a high fox', and music hall type catchphrases abound. Truly original, and often incredibly funny.

BARKER: Four Candles!

CORBETT: Four Candles?

BARKER: Four Candles.

(Ronnie Corbett makes for a box, and gets out four candles. He places them on the counter)

BARKER: No, four candles!

CORBETT (confused): Well there you are, four candles!

BARKER: No, fork 'andles! 'Andles for forks!

:clap::hihi::clap::hihi::clap:

Archived