Monsal Head Hotel restaurant - disturbingly quiet!

My OH and I drove out to eat at Monsal Head hotel the other night. We sat in the restaurant part and found there was a real lack of atmosphere in there, it was uncomfortable and eerie, we listened to people scrape their knives and forks across the plates and whispering at each other, it got too much so we left without ordering.

I asked the bar staff before leaving if they could play some soft low music (think piano, jazz etc...) and was told no as they don't have an entertainments licence.

I can't see how the restaurant can be enjoyable with everyone whispering as they know they can be heard as you can hear a pin drop in there, plus you can hear the awful screeches of cutlery on plates and the ceilings are high and the place is airy so every little noise is amplified.

The food may be great and one we will go back with a group (not sure how that will go down in the 'quiet room') but it was odd and something i've never experienced before. Regardless of the food, if the atmosphere is low quality then where does that leave you?

Has anyone exprienced disturbingly quiet (almost macabre atmosphere) restaurants?

I'd agree with the OP about the restaurant part. Last time we went there, we managed to switch into the old stables, which are much more convivial.

They certainly need to do something about the atmosphere in the main building...The food was good though.

Yes there's a pub/Restaurant in the Hope Valley exactly like that. Used to be a busy and a friendly place but now hardly anyone goes in, lost all the atmosphere and very uncomfortable and quiet. It used to be called the new bath hotel but they even changed the name of that ..it's now called the Samuel Fox actually I think it might be owned by the same people who own the Monsal ..maybe that's the way they like their restaurants ?

Archived