Does sheffield need a michelin star restaurant??

bigbladerob

Nowhere needs a Michelin starred restaurant, but they add something to a city's reputation and it would certainly put Sheffield on the culinary map if there were a few of them here rather than just the one.

I've never eaten in a Michelin starred restaurant myself and prefer a more relaxed informal sort of place. My favourite sort of places are the Asian "food factory" sort of place where they just bang out brilliant food at a furious pace like the sort of places you get in Indonesia, Vietnam and Singapore.

desperate? i'm sure sheffield and its residents will cope without one :loopy:

Ok - maybe it's just me that is desperate for a decent eatery in town, rather than on the outskirts. And by decent - I don't mean it has to be Michelin Star - just decent.

Leeds for example, has Anthony's and Fourth Floor at Harvey Nicks - both very nice. What do we have, on that level, you know somewhere you can take your mum out for a treat after shopping?

Leeds for example, has Anthony's and Fourth Floor at Harvey Nicks

But do either have a Michelin star?

You have to travel to Scunthorpe for the finest Michelin rated restaurant in the region, probably the finest outside London. Does Scunthorpe benefit from it?

Ok - maybe it's just me that is desperate for a decent eatery in town, rather than on the outskirts. And by decent - I don't mean it has to be Michelin Star - just decent.

Leeds for example, has Anthony's and Fourth Floor at Harvey Nicks - both very nice. What do we have, on that level, you know somewhere you can take your mum out for a treat after shopping?

Atkinsons

:P

We do need more good restaurants in my opinion, not necceserily michelin. I have had good and bad experiences of michelin starred food. Best was either Restaurant Sat Baines in Nottingham or Lindsay House in London (Richard Corrigans old restaurant) or le manoir. All innovative, tasty food with great service too. Worst Sharrow Bay in the lake district. Over priced and too reliant on its location. Michelin is quite over rated in my opinion, aa ratings are far better to find a decent restaurant.

I would love a Michelin Starred Rest' in Sheffield but I doubt it would do very well.

The Old Vicarage is not good quality, the food has been nice in the past, and on odd occasion the food has been poor. I had food poisoning from the Old Vic once and the owners attitude towards this was disgusting so I won't be going back. Also they give the impression that they 'think' the Old Vic is far too good for anyone!! So that place doesn't count IMO.

There are some restaurants around Sheffield that are of Michelin Star quality but don't actually hold the stars - this doesn't faze me, stars don't make it better than anywhere else, stars just mean all the food looks like how the Michelin judges want it to look as I have had poor quality meals at the Old Vic which holds a star!

?

There are quiet a few decent restaurants in Sheffield, not directly in the centre but they are in Sheffield area.

The city centres caters for drinking instead of food IMO.

Archived