Does sheffield need a michelin star restaurant??

bigbladerob

Fischers at Baslow is very good consistently, I dont know whether they have a star or not. The atmosphere is good, the staff welcoming and knowledgeable. Sheffield post code if not actually in the city.

The Derwentwater at Calver has good pub food. Also Reeds at Mexborough (believe it or not) can be excellent as long as the maitre de Ian is on duty.

I've never eaten in a Michelin starred restaurant myself and prefer a more relaxed informal sort of place. My favourite sort of places are the Asian "food factory" sort of place where they just bang out brilliant food at a furious pace like the sort of places you get in Indonesia, Vietnam and Singapore.

I have eaten in a few Michelin places in London - and loads of places like you describe in Asia. If cost was absolutely no option, I'd have the Asian places any time. Mental service, loud, bright, often uncomfortable seating (if it exists at all it may well be next to a main road or a tropical beach), cheap beer, no customer service, plastic or paper plates and cutlery; but the freshest and best cooked food imaginable.

We don't need a Michelin starred restaurant. The ones I've eaten in are good but really are just a reflection on the chef's ego. It seems that the majority of starred London eateries are given them for doing something different, even when there's nothing wrong with the original. I'm not against experimentation, but there's something wrong when experimentation is a necessity to get recognition.

I don't think a Michelin starred place would hurt Sheffield, but that's different to Sheffield needing a high-end type place. Innovative cooking is more suited to the pubs in Sheffield - though we're lacking establishements such as The Star Inn at Harome, or The Coach and Horses in Clerkenwell, places where the menu's are actually interesting to read and eat from. The Coach and Horses at Dronfield makes a fair stab at it and The Cricket Inn sometimes hits the mark, but there's still something lacking.

I still question whether the customer base is actually here in Sheffield in order to support restaurants/ pubs that would push the boat out a little regarding the use of less common ingredients, or different cooking styles.

I wonder how well an Anthony's would do in Sheffield?

There are quiet a few decent restaurants in Sheffield, not directly in the centre but they are in Sheffield area.

The city centres caters for drinking instead of food IMO.

But most other city centres have decent restaurants. Why does Sheffield have to be the only city in England without a really good, high-end, non-chain, not necessarily Michelin, restaurant in the city centre?

It must be the rents, I suppose? Maybe only a few new and independent dare attempt it in town.

I still question whether the customer base is actually here in Sheffield in order to support restaurants/ pubs that would push the boat out a little regarding the use of less common ingredients, or different cooking styles.

I wonder how well an Anthony's would do in Sheffield?

But the sushi restaurants do well. Jabu seems to be ok. Milestone has some unique menus. I think we're ready for something. Someone other than flaming Richard Smith! However, saying that I would even welcome his artisan in town (not that I've been but I think it is the kind of thing I'm looking for).

Then again, you remember Boho? Didn't last long. Balls.

Richard Smith's cooking isn't what it was, and never what it was claimed (in my opinion at least) so he does bistros now.

When 23 tried they sadly found that there was little demand in Sheffield for what they were trying to do, so they extended the bar and pushed it back down market.

Sheffield is a tough city, or maybe a wise city. Restaurants, bars and clubs are incredibly good ways of making a small fortune out of a large one.

Sheffield is a tough city, or maybe a wise city. Restaurants, bars and clubs are incredibly good ways of making a small fortune out of a large one.

this maybe so but look at the success' of leopald square who are all (correct me if im wrong) chain bars?

i believe there is demand for this but to hep compete over the larger bars and restuarants, we need to look out for these places and support the independant more, wherever possible!

Archived