Gordon Brown's mask slips "she's a very bigoted woman"

Brown called Mrs Duffy a bigot because she is a profoundly ignorant bigot.

How? She was talking about what she thought to be the wrong people receiving benefits.

We'll not need to dissect this with an analysis of Polish workers and their child benefit figures will we? Let's try to stay remotely on topic instead of smearing the victim of a smear.

Obviously, this gaff has been the most high profile, but Cameron was under fire yesterday after a confrontation with an unhappy dad who also previously happened to have worked under John Major, then you have Clegg flip flopping over what he meant over his comments about who he would or would not form a coalition government with.

So I think that all the leaders will be watched carefully by many viewers and not just because of Gordon's gaff.

I suppose its part and parcel of this "new" politics. I remember someone after last weeks debate said, parties will be picking leaders for there media role rather than an actually proper leader.

The thing about the Brown bullying saga,....people dont mind him having a go at people not doing there jobs....his rating went up when that story surfaced.....this is far worse.......she was a old lady who had an opinon,.....just because of the immigration discussion he didnt like her.......you couldnt have made this up

True but she was only 66 and quite opinionated, Brown was wrong about his comments about her, but by the same token you can understand how frustrated Brown must have felt, when really at this stage of the game he wanted interviews with the contented Labour supporting smiling people to be broadcast on the news.

True but she was only 66 and quite opinionated, Brown was wrong about his comments about her but by the same token you can understand how frustrated Brown must have felt when really at this stage of the game he wanted interviews with the contented Labour supporting smiling people to be broadcast on the news.

From a labour media perspective it was embarasing (they should have been more vigilant and veted people) but he did say at the last debate he was good with real people, and was about substance rather than media etc

How? She was talking about what she thought to be the wrong people receiving benefits.

No, she wasn't:

Gillian Duffy:

You can't say anything about the immigrants because you're saying that you're... but all these eastern Europeans what are coming in, where are they flocking from?

So, Mrs Duffy is claiming you CANNOT say ANYTHING about immigrants, as she buttonholes the PM, on camera, in front of a crowd of people, and rants about immigrants.

You couldn't make it up.

The full exchange makes clear that Mrs Duffy raised immigration in the context of benefit scroungers.

The fact that Eastern Europeans are unable to claim benefits until they've worked here seems to have passed her by.

She's an ignorant, bigotted old woman.

http://twitter.com/bigotedwoman

Quite a post by someone who is always at pains to stress that they are apolitical! Looks like more than one mask may have slipped today!
When have I ever said that? I hate Labour with a passion, always have, always will and have never made a secret of it. It comes from having been born and brought up in Sheffield, with that shower in charge for donkey's years:)

There are some Labour MPs with both honour and ability, but none of them represent Sheffield :) Brown, Blair and Mandelson are the some of the very worst of a bad bunch, imo. I'm glad he's shown his true colours again today. I'm sure it won't be for the last time either.

spindrift, never was a username more appropriate. Labour HQ could use you to develop a few of those distracting smears that I anticipated earlier in the thread. ;)

She was a pensioner on her way to buy a loaf of bread, not some BNP plant with an agenda. Her thoughts represent common views and politicians would do well to listen.

Brown called Mrs Duffy a bigot because she is a profoundly ignorant bigot.

Well Peter Mandleson, Gordon Brown, Ben Bradshaw, the Labour Party press officers and everyone else I've seen talk about it seem to disagree with you there.

Archived