Gordon Brown's mask slips "she's a very bigoted woman"

An opinion poll for the Sun has found more people thought none the worse of Gordon Brown for describing a Labour voter as a "bigoted woman".
That seems about right! you would tend to agree that Labour has probably a higher proportion of bigots in its membership than other parties.......and,endorsed by Mester Brown 'iself!

Maybe so,but arnt they collecting child benefit for their brats back in Poland?

Would you ban British people from claiming child benefit abroad?

The amount paid in child benefit is dwarfed by the taxes Polish workers pay here, as we've already said upthread.

And calling children names just because they're Polish is a bit desperate.

Do British people working abroad have to have their children with them to claim Child Benefit in the country in which they work? (Serious question) Or, if the children are in the UK, do they claim child benefit from the British government?

Polish children aren't Brats ... that's German kids.

Polish children are more likely to be Kielbasa. ;)

Would you ban British people from claiming child benefit abroad?

The amount paid in child benefit is dwarfed by the taxes Polish workers pay here, as we've already said upthread.

And calling children names just because they're Polish is a bit desperate.

You mean like calling a not very eloquent elderly woman who caught you out, by asking awkward questions, a bigot. :D

The definition of bigotry includes holding irrational views.

I would suggest it is irrational to ask:

"All these Eastern Europeans, where are they flocking from?"

If I had been having that exact conversation with Duffy, I would have come away thinking exactly the same thing too.

She was a woman who, in the midst of talking about benefits and the economy, suddenly said:

“You can’t say anything about the immigrants…all these Eastern Europeans what are coming in – where are they flocking from?”

So, she's:

Linking Eastern Europeans with benefit fraud.

Using prejorative terms usually used for animals about Eastern Europeans.

Asking a pretty dumb question about where they come from.

She's a bigot.

Gillian Duffy technically is a bigot, but I think what was worse (and some commentators have made the same point - although I am not sure if they have on TV or the tabloids, so not sure how influential it is), but what seems worse to me was Gordon Brown lashing out at and blaming Sue Nye, for the meeting. This is someone that has worked with him for years and even introduced him to his wife. Gordon has been talking about getting out to voters this week and taking risks, well that is what was delivered for him. Gillian Duffy's forcefully put, and barely coherent points were what you would expect from even a fairly articulate voter put under pressure by being filmed by cameras. The interview may not have gone well, but it was hardly a disaster until he got in the car.

I am afraid, what was recorded is indicative of a flaw in Gordon Brown's character, a volatility, an instinctive reaction to blame others and a failure to take responsibility for his own actions that marks him out as unsuitable to be a leader.

Unlike others on the forum I don't think he is the total disaster economically, or in terms of social policies. Labour have done much that is good for working people, but not as much as they should. It is clear from the polls that Labour's vote now as we come to election is higher than some expected from looking at the figures a year ago. Labour support has rallied, but Brown's popularity is remarkably low. A lot of that unpopularity has been fuelled by unfair and irrelevant personal attacks on his style and presentation and IMHO the last thing this country needs is another Blair type spin doctor as leader in place of someone with some substance. But all that said Brown does still have flaws, and important ones that make him unsuitable for a position of authority.

Admittedly on reflection I also think Alan Sugar isn't suitable for a position of authority, because of the similar character flaw of bullying arrogance.... but I know others disagree with me on that, so perhaps my argument is not as important or relevant when considering the reactions of the electorate. :huh:

All the same I was of the view and still think there should have been a leadership election a year and a half ago, and that regardless of the outcome, the Labour Party should be looking at a leadership election soon after the general election.

Archived