Are people getting more narrow minded about dogs?

Is it me or are people becoming more and more narrow minded about dogs.

There isn't really a day goes by without you hearing a story or someone moaning about a potentially vicious, savage (or whatever else) dog and its even got to the point where these dogs are seen as "potentially vicious" (even on the forum). The Media have hyped this up and created a society fearful of certain breeds of dog (namely staffs & rottweilers but other too) and it has now reached a point where any dog of these "vicious" breeds are viewed with suspicion even if said dog is the nicest, most docile dog in the world. Its the same as saying that just because you have blue eyes you are a potential genocidal maniac but saying that about people is prejudiced but it appears the done thing with dog breeds.

It does appear that not all staffs are vicious but the media make it look like all vicious dogs are staffs/rotties. Isn't it about time the media started to paint a more leveled picture of dogs? Stories of labradors/Chihuahuas etc turning on their owners are never in the news but they happen and happen regularly.

Certain dogs are used as status symbols by people wanting to appear "hard" or "macho" but is that really the dogs fault? It is the nature v nurture debate again and i for one am of the opinion that no dog is vicious by nature but it is how they are brought up (nurtured) that determines whether they become vicious. I have never come across a vicious staffy, rottweiler or any of the other "problem" breeds, in fact the most vicious dog i have ever come across is a little tiny Chihuahua but would that make national news? "6ft man savaged by enraged Chihuahua" i think not.

I am not saying there aren't problem dogs but we need a more open minded view on what breeds are aggressive and fingers should not be pointed at the dogs but at the people breeding, bringing them up etc.

The only time I get annoyed with owners, is when they keep dogs as fashion accessories. This may be an aspiring socialite with a miniature Chiwawa, or a white tracksuit wearing sink estate gentlemen with a ferocious looking Rottweiler.

Small men with Huskies are also laughable. They look like they are permanently on the set of the Borrowers.

Iin fact the most vicious dog i have ever come across is a little tiny Chihuahua but would that make national news? "6ft man savaged by enraged Chihuahua" i think not.

Well no, because a Chihuahua is pretty much incapable of 'savaging' anyone :confused:

Obviously some breeds ARE more dangerous (in that they could potentially cause more damage) than others due to their size and strength, that is just a fact.

I also think that different breeds are different by nature. Some probably are more likely to be vicious, or rather more easily turned vicious given a particular upbringing (coupled with the fact that certain breeds are more likely to be chosen by idiots who actually want a nasty dog).

I definately don't agree that 'all staffies/rotties etc are evil' but at the same time I don't agree that 'all dogs are the same' :confused:

I know, it's so ironic & stereotypical :roll:

In my life I have only firsthand witnessed the following dog attacks:

- I was attacked by a King Charles Spaniel when I was a kid... I had many stitches & still have the scars.

- My workmate's mum had their finger bitten off by the family Westie

- A dog at my vets was brutally savaged (almost to death... an absolute mess) by a Poodle & an Irish Water Spaniel

- Oh yeah, and a Llhasa Apso attacked my dog once!

Meanwhile my staffie cross rescue just lay there blinking the other week when some stranger's toddler wouldn't leave him alone in a pub beer garden - kept poking him in the eyes and trying to pull the bandage off his leg from an operation :( I kept telling the kid to stop but the owners were absolutely nowhere to be seen :roll:

And you wonder why some kids get bitten? Bad parents & bad dog owners, that's why!

- I was attacked by a King Charles Spaniel when I was a kid... I had many stitches & still have the scars.

- A dog at my vets was brutally savaged (almost to death... an absolute mess) by a Poodle & an Irish Water Spaniel

Meanwhile my staffie cross rescue just lay there blinking the other week when some stranger's toddler wouldn't leave him alone in a pub beer garden - kept poking him in the eyes and trying to pull the bandage off his leg from an operation :( I kept telling the kid to stop but the owners were absolutely nowhere to be seen :roll:

And you wonder why some kids get bitten? Bad parents & bad dog owners, that's why!

Not always so, when my daughter was around 4 we were outside at the Rivelin cafe and she wanted to go get an ice-cream herself, I gave her some money and off she went into the cafe, coming out with a lolly of some description she skipped past a German Shepherd who was sat by the feet of it's owners, it snarled stood and went for her, it managed to scratch her back through her t-shirt with it's teeth before the owners yanked it back.

The couple said the dog had never done anything like it before despite it being in public places often and being 4 years old. Bad dog perhaps??

Some of the little dogs are far too aggressive especially Yorkies, they think they're Rotweilers but they're not. Booting them out of the way usually reminds them.

Well no, because a Chihuahua is pretty much incapable of 'savaging' anyone :confused:

do you want to bet??

Try being a 2 year old surrounded by 7 of your grandmothers show dogs - they are vicious little b*****ds.

The 4 grandchildren (myself included) never came away from a visit unscathed from grandmothers little 'treasures'

Even now, I will cross the road rather than walk passed one.

My grandmother also ran boarding kennels, with the dogs being walked twice a day. I never met a dog that wasn't a happy placid dog.

But it isn't the dog that is dangerous - it is the owner.

Having siad that - my miniature dachshund became REALLY grumpy in her old age and if she had children running at her, as they were always likely to do, she'd have a snap at them. I started using a lead for her at the ripe old age of 14.

Obviously some breeds ARE more dangerous (in that they could potentially cause more damage) than others due to their size and strength, that is just a fact.

I also think that different breeds are different by nature. Some probably are more likely to be vicious, or rather more easily turned vicious given a particular upbringing (coupled with the fact that certain breeds are more likely to be chosen by idiots who actually want a nasty dog).

I definately don't agree that 'all staffies/rotties etc are evil' but at the same time I don't agree that 'all dogs are the same' :confused:

My bold

Chihuahuas have teeth and are perfectly capable of savaging somebody! Particularly if they suffer from "small dog syndrome" and are bad-tempered.

There's one in my local park who thinks he's the **** of the walk and would dash off to attack any strange dog (no matter how large) if he was given half the chance.

Not always so, when my daughter was around 4 we were outside at the Rivelin cafe and she wanted to go get an ice-cream herself, I gave her some money and off she went into the cafe, coming out with a lolly of some description she skipped past a German Shepherd who was sat by the feet of it's owners, it snarled stood and went for her, it managed to scratch her back through her t-shirt with it's teeth before the owners yanked it back.

The couple said the dog had never done anything like it before despite it being in public places often and being 4 years old. Bad dog perhaps??

Good point - I foolishly managed to over-generalise, on a thread complaining about over-generalising! :blush:

do you want to bet??

Try being a 2 year old surrounded by 7 of your grandmothers show dogs - they are vicious little b*****ds.

The 4 grandchildren (myself included) never came away from a visit unscathed from grandmothers little 'treasures'

Even now, I will cross the road rather than walk passed one.

My grandmother also ran boarding kennels, with the dogs being walked twice a day. I never met a dog that wasn't a happy placid dog.

But it isn't the dog that is dangerous - it is the owner.

Having siad that - my miniature dachshund became REALLY grumpy in her old age and if she had children running at her, as they were always likely to do, she'd have a snap at them. I started using a lead for her at the ripe old age of 14.

Well I was making the assumption that a small child wouldn't be left in that sort of a situation and would be supervised with any kind of animal. The supervising adult I'm sure could manage to somehow struggle to overpower the Chihuahua!!

Also you mentioned a 6ft bloke?! He would just laugh and pick it up and chuck it in the nearest bin!!

Edit - also to me 'savage' would describe horrific injuries such as face and limbs torn off, not just bitten/scratched.

Archived